Find Re(α+α^2+α^3+α^4+α^5): Solve Trig Series

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the real part of the sum of powers of a complex number, but can be simplified by using trigonometric identities and geometric series to find a nicer expression. The final answer is a fraction involving the square root of the given complex number.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex]\large α = e^{i\frac{8∏}{11}}[/itex], then find [itex]Re(α+α^{2}+α^{3}+α^{4}+α^{5})[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\large e^{i\frac{8∏}{11}}+e^{i\frac{16∏}{11}}...+e^{i\frac{40∏}{11}}[/itex]

[itex]cos \frac{8∏}{11}+isin \frac{8∏}{11}...[/itex]

Since I am interested only in real part so now I have to find the value of

[itex]cosθ+cos2θ...cos5θ[/itex]

where [itex]θ= \frac{8∏}{11}[/itex]

I think some trigonometry must be applied since it seems to me sum of a trigonometrical series.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]\large α = e^{i\frac{8∏}{11}}[/itex], then find [itex]Re(α+α^{2}+α^{3}+α^{4}+α^{5})[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\large e^{i\frac{8∏}{11}}+e^{i\frac{16∏}{11}}...+e^{i\frac{40∏}{11}}[/itex]

I think some trigonometry must be applied since it seems to me sum of a trigonometrical series.

Is not

[itex]α+α^{2}+α^{3}+α^{4}+α^{5}[/itex]

a geometric series?

hild

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You have found the real part; it is a sum of 5 terms. What is wrong with that answer?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You have found the real part; it is a sum of 5 terms. What is wrong with that answer?

RGV

Hey I have found the answer but not completely. I have to find the value of cosθ+cos2θ...
which I don't know how to solve

utkarshakash said:
Hey I have found the answer but not completely. I have to find the value of cosθ+cos2θ...
which I don't know how to solve

Well as people have already mentioned, the answer IS
[itex]\cos(8\pi/11)+\cos(16\pi/11)+...+\cos(40\pi/11)[/itex]
but that's messy, and this question has been cleverly constructed so that there is a nice answer.

[tex]\alpha+\alpha^2+...+\alpha^5[/tex]
[tex]=1+\alpha+\alpha^2+...+\alpha^5-1[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1-\alpha^6}{1-\alpha}-1[/tex]

Now, notice that

[tex]\alpha^6=e^{48\pi i/11}=e^{4\pi i/11}=\left(e^{8\pi i/11}\right)^{1/2}=\alpha^{1/2}[/tex]

So we can now turn the expression into

[tex]=\frac{1-\alpha^{1/2}}{1-\alpha}-1[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1-\alpha^{1/2}}{(1-\alpha^{1/2})(1+\alpha^{1/2})}-1[/tex]

I'm sure you can finish it off from here :smile:

FAQ: Find Re(α+α^2+α^3+α^4+α^5): Solve Trig Series

1. What is the value of "α" in the series?

The value of "α" is not specified in this question, so it could represent any number or variable.

2. What is the purpose of solving trigonometric series?

The purpose of solving trigonometric series is to find the value of the series or to simplify it into a more manageable form.

3. How do I solve a trigonometric series?

To solve a trigonometric series, you can use various techniques such as the Binomial Theorem, telescoping, or converting it into a geometric series. It is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation.

4. Can the value of the series be expressed in terms of "α"?

It depends on the specific series and the value of "α". In some cases, the value of the series can be expressed in terms of "α", while in others, it cannot.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving trigonometric series?

Yes, trigonometric series have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves, and to solve differential equations.

Back