Find Real Triples $(a,b,c)$ for 20c-16b^2=9

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, to find the real triples (a, b, c) that satisfy the equation 20c-16b^2=9, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination. There is no specific formula for solving this type of equation, but various algebraic techniques can be used. A graphing calculator can also be used to find solutions. There are no restrictions on the values of a, b, and c, but they may need to be restricted in certain contexts. This equation can also be applied to solve real-world problems involving relationships between three variables.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find all triples $(a,\,b,\,c)$ of real numbers such that

$20c-16b^2=9$

$24b-36a^2=1$

$12a-4c^2=25$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Find all triples $(a,\,b,\,c)$ of real numbers such that

$20c-16b^2=9$

$24b-36a^2=1$

$12a-4c^2=25$

I get

no solution

as

adding all 3 we get

$(6a-1)^2 + (4b-3)^2 + (2c-5)^2=0$

giving $a=\dfrac{1}{6}, b= \dfrac{3}{4}, c=\dfrac{5}{2}$

which shows that above equations inconsistent

kaliprasad said:
I get

no solution

as

adding all 3 we get

$(6a-1)^2 + (4b-3)^2 + (2c-5)^2=0$

giving $a=\dfrac{1}{6}, b= \dfrac{3}{4}, c=\dfrac{5}{2}$

which shows that above equations inconsistent

Your solution is correct, and thanks for participating, kaliprasad!

FAQ: Find Real Triples $(a,b,c)$ for 20c-16b^2=9

1. How can I find the real triples (a,b,c) that satisfy the equation 20c-16b^2=9?

To find the real triples (a,b,c) for this equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination. First, rearrange the equation to solve for one variable in terms of the others. Then, substitute this expression into the other equations to find the remaining variables. Finally, check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.

2. Is there a specific method or formula for solving this type of equation?

No, there is not one specific method or formula for solving this type of equation. However, you can use various algebraic techniques, such as substitution, elimination, or factoring, to find the solutions.

3. Can I use a graphing calculator to find the solutions?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to find the solutions to this equation. Simply enter the equation into the calculator and use the intersect function to find the points where the graph intersects the x-axis, which represent the solutions to the equation.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of a, b, and c for this equation?

No, there are no specific restrictions on the values of a, b, and c for this equation. However, you may need to restrict the values to a certain range, such as integers or positive numbers, depending on the context of the problem.

5. Can I use this equation to solve real-world problems?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve real-world problems that involve relationships between three variables. For example, it could be used to model a situation where the cost of producing a certain number of items is equal to a fixed cost plus a variable cost based on the number of items produced.