Find real x and y, for which |z+3|=1-iz

• Thread starter acdurbin953
  • Start date
In summary: You concluded that ##z+3## is real. What can you say about ##x##, then?In summary, the absolute value in the equation indicates that the left hand side must be real, which means that the right hand side must also be real. This means that iz must be real, which in turn means that ix + i2y is purely real. From this, we can conclude that x must be real.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

z=x+iy=re=rcos(θ) + rsin(θ)i

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there must exist some x and y which satisfies both of these equations, since the real part of the LHS must be the same as the RHS, and same with the imaginary part. What is tripping me up is that z is on both sides. If there wasn't a z on either side, I would normally just convert each side into it's polar form, and solve for r and θ, thus finding x and y.

In this case, I've only gotten so far as changing to polar and doing trivial manipulations to both sides:
re +3 = 1-ire
re (1+i) = -2
re = i-1 = (i-1)ei2πn

Then I found r=√2, θ=2π. So x=√2 and y =0.

That's where I'm at so far. I ignored the absolute value of the LHS, which I'm sure probably plays a part in the answer, but I don't quite know how. The answer in the back of the book is x=0 and y=4. I have no idea how to get that answer. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
acdurbin953 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

z=x+iy=re=rcos(θ) + rsin(θ)i

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there must exist some x and y which satisfies both of these equations, since the real part of the LHS must be the same as the RHS, and same with the imaginary part. What is tripping me up is that z is on both sides. If there wasn't a z on either side, I would normally just convert each side into it's polar form, and solve for r and θ, thus finding x and y.

In this case, I've only gotten so far as changing to polar and doing trivial manipulations to both sides:
re +3 = 1-ire
re (1+i) = -2
re = i-1 = (i-1)ei2πn

Then I found r=√2, θ=2π. So x=√2 and y =0.

That's where I'm at so far. I ignored the absolute value of the LHS, which I'm sure probably plays a part in the answer, but I don't quite know how. The answer in the back of the book is x=0 and y=4. I have no idea how to get that answer. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

If you copied the equation correctly, it has an immediate consequence for ##z##. Since the LHS is a non-negarive real, the right-hand-side must be real as well, so ##iz## must be real.

Remember: [itex]\left\lvert z+3 \right\rvert [/itex] is real and ≥0. This will give you some boundary conditions for z...

acdurbin953 said:

Homework Statement

The absolute value can not be ignored. It makes the left hand side of the equation real: The right hand side must be real, too. What does it mean for y?

Okay so since |z+3| ≥ 0 does that mean I can now interpret the equation as |z+3| = 1+3i → |z| = -2+3i? I don't think I can, since then r = √13.

acdurbin953 said:
Okay so since |z+3| ≥ 0 does that mean I can now interpret the equation as |z+3| = 1+3i → |z| = -2+3i? I don't think I can, since then r = √13.
No!

Svein said:
No!

I don't get it then. What am I missing? What other value is z supposed to have?

acdurbin953 said:
I don't get it then. What am I missing? What other value is z supposed to have?
Have you read all the posts?

SammyS said:
Have you read all the posts?

Yes. I know now that the absolute value of the LHS makes everything real, and that |z+3| is some non-negative value. Also, since |z+3| is real, iz must also be real. What I don't understand is the direction I'm supposed to go with that information. And I don't know what that means for y. I'm assuming it means y must be real, but that seems obvious given that the question implies that a real y value exists.

acdurbin953 said:
Yes. I know now that the absolute value of the LHS makes everything real, and that |z+3| is some non-negative value. Also, since |z+3| is real, iz must also be real. What I don't understand is the direction I'm supposed to go with that information. And I don't know what that means for y. I'm assuming it means y must be real, but that seems obvious given that the question implies that a real y value exists.
Isn't z = x + iy ?

This gives you that if iz is real, then i(x+ iy) = ix + i2y is real. What can you conclude from this?

SammyS said:
Isn't z = x + iy ?

This gives you that if iz is real, then i(x+ iy) = ix + i2y is real. What can you conclude from this?

Does it mean that the imaginary part of the LHS would be the real y value of the RHS? Since i(x+iy) = ix+y. When I initially started the problem I wrote |x +iy +3| = 1-ix+y, but I really didn't know what I would do with that.

acdurbin953 said:
Does it mean that the imaginary part of the LHS would be the real y value of the RHS?
No.
The left hand side is purely real.

You said (correctly) that iz is real, which means that ix + i2y is purely real. From that you should be able to conclude something important regarding x or y .

ehild said:
The absolute value can not be ignored. It makes the left hand side of the equation real: The right hand side must be real, too. What does it mean for y?
You mean ##x##.

Related to Find real x and y, for which |z+3|=1-iz

1. What is the equation |z+3|=1-iz trying to solve?

The equation |z+3|=1-iz is trying to find the values of x and y that satisfy the given equation.

2. How do you solve an equation with complex numbers?

To solve an equation with complex numbers, you can use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, isolating variables, and distributing operations. It is also helpful to convert complex numbers into their polar form.

3. What does the absolute value in |z+3| represent?

The absolute value in |z+3| represents the distance of the complex number z from the origin on the complex plane. It is also known as the modulus or magnitude of z.

4. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have more than one solution. The number of solutions depends on the specific values of x and y that satisfy the equation.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the solutions to this equation?

Yes, there are multiple methods for finding the solutions to this equation. One approach is to convert the complex numbers into their polar form and then use trigonometric identities to solve for x and y. Another approach is to graph the equation on the complex plane and visually identify the solutions.