Find resultant vector and equilibrant

In summary, the correct way to find the resultant of two vectors is by using cosine law and finding the angle between the vectors, in this case, 120 degrees. This will give you the correct answer of 12.7 N for the resultant of forces f1 and f2. It is important to draw the vectors correctly, with the tail of one vector starting from the arrowhead of the other, to accurately find the resultant.
rrosa522
A force, f1, of a magnitude 6 N acts on particle P. A second force, f2, of magnitude 8 N acts at 60 degrees to f1. Determine the resultant and equilibrant of f1 and f2.

I use cosine law and found the resultant is 7.2 but the answer is 12.7
I used angle 60 and my solution manual says I had to use 120, but I don't understand why that it

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You did your vector addition wrongly. Try drawing out the two vectors f1 and f2 as well as their resultant vector.

Fightfish said:
You did your vector addition wrongly. Try drawing out the two vectors f1 and f2 as well as their resultant vector.
i did but i am not getting the right answer

rrosa522 said:
i did but i am not getting the right answer
I'm quite sure you drew both vectors as having the same origin (i.e. tails originating from the same point) and then trying to find the line that completes that triangle. This is not correct. The tail of one vector has to start from the arrowhead of the other.

(I'm kinda lazy to attempt to sketch figures - so take a look over at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html)

Fightfish said:
I'm quite sure you drew both vectors as having the same origin (i.e. tails originating from the same point) and then trying to find the line that completes that triangle. This is not correct. The tail of one vector has to start from the arrowhead of the other.

(I'm kinda lazy to attempt to sketch figures - so take a look over at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html)
yeah that is what I did, I just don't get why its cos120 and not cos60. the question says A second force, f2, of magnitude 8 N acts at 60 degrees to f1, doesn't that mean f1 and f2 form an angle of 60 degrees.

2v3mveb.png

What you probably drew is the incorrect diagram on the left.

Related to Find resultant vector and equilibrant

What is the definition of a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is a single vector that represents the combined effect of two or more vectors. It is found by adding or subtracting the individual vectors using vector addition or subtraction.

How do you find the resultant vector?

To find the resultant vector, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual vector. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to combine the vectors and find the resultant vector.

What is the difference between a resultant vector and an equilibrant?

A resultant vector represents a single vector that is the combination of multiple vectors, while an equilibrant is a single vector that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the resultant vector. The equilibrant is used to balance out the resultant vector and create a state of equilibrium.

What is the purpose of finding the equilibrant?

The purpose of finding the equilibrant is to determine the force needed to balance out the resultant vector and create a state of equilibrium. This is useful in situations where there are multiple forces acting on an object and you need to find the net force.

Can the resultant vector and equilibrant be in different directions?

Yes, the resultant vector and equilibrant can be in different directions. The resultant vector represents the overall effect of the combined vectors, while the equilibrant is specifically created to counteract the resultant vector and create equilibrium.