Find Shortest Distance to Point on Ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the shortest distance from a given point to an ellipsoid surface, with the current method being a brute force program. The question is if there is a more efficient equation or method to solve this problem. The solution involves finding the gradient at the given point and using it to find a line parallel to that vector, which intersects the ellipsoid at the shortest distance. The distance can then be calculated using the coordinates of the intersecting point.
golmschenk
Right now I'm running this with a brute force program which takes points on an ellipsoid and checks the distance to the point, slightly readjusts, and keeps moving toward the minimum, but it takes far to long for the mass amount of points I want to run through the program. Is there an equation I can use to find the line?

The question more specifically is the following. I have the parameteric equation for an ellipsoid. I have the location of a point. I want to find the shortest distance from the surface of the ellipsoid to the point. The point could be on the inside or the outside of the ellipsoid. I currently have a brute force program solving this but would like an equation or something else cleaner/faster to solve this. Is there a better way I could be doing this? Thanks for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Suppose the equation of the ellipsoid is
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}+ \frac{z^2}{c^2}= 1[/tex]

Then the gradient at the point [itex](x_0,y_0, z_0)[/itex] is
[tex]\frac{2}{a^2}x_0\vec{i}+ \frac{2}{b^2}y_0\vec{j}+ \frac{2}{c^2}y_0\vec{k}[/tex]

The line through given point (u, v, w), parallel to that vector is
[tex]x= \frac{2}{a^2}x_0t+ u[/tex]
[tex]y= \frac{2}{b^2}y_0t+ v[/tex]
[tex]z= \frac{2}{c^2}z_0t+ w[/tex]

Solve the three equations
[tex]x_0= \frac{2}{a^2}x_0t+ u[/tex]
[tex]y_0= \frac{2}{b^2}y_0t+ v[/tex]
[tex]z_0= \frac{2}{c^2}z_0t+ w[/tex]
for [itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex], and [itex]z_0[/itex] to find the point at which the shortest line (i.e. the perpendicular line) from the point intersects the ellipsoid, the find the distance between (u, v, w) and [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex].

Fantastic! Thanks! I knew there had to be something like this, but wasn't finding it.

Related to Find Shortest Distance to Point on Ellipsoid

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a flattened sphere. It is defined by three axes, with two axes being equal and perpendicular to each other, and a third axis that is shorter or longer. It is often used to model the shape of the Earth or other celestial bodies.

2. How is the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid calculated?

The shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid is calculated using the Haversine formula, which takes into account the curvature of the ellipsoid. This formula uses the latitude and longitude coordinates of the two points to calculate the shortest distance between them.

3. What is the significance of finding the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid?

Finding the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid is important in various fields such as geodesy, geography, and navigation. It allows for accurate measurements and calculations of distances on the surface of the Earth or other ellipsoidal objects.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions in finding the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are a few limitations and assumptions when calculating the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid. One of the main limitations is that this method assumes the ellipsoid is a perfect shape, without any irregularities or deformations. Additionally, it assumes a constant curvature throughout the ellipsoid.

5. Can the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid be calculated for any point on the surface?

Yes, the shortest distance to a point on an ellipsoid can be calculated for any point on the surface, as long as the coordinates of the two points are known. This method can also be used for points located on the interior of the ellipsoid, as long as the coordinates are within the boundaries of the ellipsoid.