Find speed using distance and acceleration?

In summary, the man jumps into a swimming pool from a height of 4.7m with a downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity. To calculate his speed upon entering the water, you can use the formula (distance)=(initial velocity)*t + (1/2)*(acceleration)*t^2, with an initial velocity of 0, acceleration of -9.8, and distance of 4.7. Then, you can use the formula (final velocity)-(initial velocity) = (acceleration)*t, using the same acceleration and time. Don't forget the negative sign in both accelerations.
bear_neals
Hi everyone,
hopefully someone hear can help me.

a man jumps into a swimming pool from a height of 4.7m assuming that his downward acceleration is 9.8 m s2 due to gravity, at what speed does he enter the water.

I really need help knowing what equations to use, i realize i need to work out the time taken and use that to calculate the overall speed but i am having trouble displaying that as i need to show all my workings.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use the formula (distance)=(initial velocity)*t + (1/2)*(acceleration)*t^2 to find the time, using initial velocity = 0, acceleration = -9.8 and distance = 4.7.

Then you could use the formula (final velocity)-(initial velocity) = (acceleration)*t, using the same acceleration and time. Dont forget the negative sign in both accelerations.

Hope this helped.

Likes bear_neals

FAQ: Find speed using distance and acceleration?

1. How do you calculate speed using distance and acceleration?

To calculate speed using distance and acceleration, you can use the formula speed = distance / time. In this case, distance refers to the total distance traveled, and time refers to the total time taken to travel that distance. Alternatively, you can also use the formula speed = initial velocity + (acceleration x time) if you know the initial velocity and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion. This means that an object can have different velocities even if they have the same speed, as long as they are moving in different directions.

3. Is speed the same as acceleration?

No, speed and acceleration are not the same. As mentioned earlier, speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's speed changes. In other words, acceleration measures the change in an object's velocity over time.

4. Can you have a negative speed or acceleration?

Yes, speed and acceleration can be negative. Negative speed indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction, while negative acceleration indicates that an object is slowing down. For example, if a car is traveling east at a speed of 50 km/h and then turns around and travels west at a speed of 30 km/h, its speed will be negative for the westward direction.

5. How does distance affect speed and acceleration?

Distance and speed have an inverse relationship, meaning that as distance increases, speed decreases. This is because it takes longer to cover a larger distance, resulting in a lower average speed. On the other hand, distance does not directly affect acceleration. However, a longer distance can result in a longer time interval, which can affect the overall acceleration of an object.

Back