Find T(v) by using the standard matrix and the matrix relative to B and B'

In summary: So for the standard matrix you find T(1,0) and T(0,1) as vectors in R^3. T(1,0) = (1,0,1)T(0,1) = (0,1,1)Av = (1,0,1,0,1,1)so A = [1 0][0 1][1 1]and using that A to multiply by v = (5,4) you get (9,5) which is the answer at the back of the book. That A is the standard matrix, the one that is found by multiplying the 3x3 by the 3x1.
RET80

Homework Statement

Basically I need to find an equation that is relative to both B and B'
T: R^2 --> R^3, T(x,y) = (x+y,x,y)
B = {(1,-1),(0,1)}
B' ={(1,1,0),(0,1,1),(1,0,1)}

Homework Equations

THE ONLY example from the book (Elementary Linear Algebra by Larson and Falvo)
6.3 Example 5

Let T: R^2 --> R^2
T(x1, x2) = (x1+x2, 2x1-x2)

Find the matrix for T relative to the bases:
B ={(1,2),(-1,1)}
B'={(1,0),(0,1)}

By the definition of T, you have:
T(v1) = T(1,2) = (3,0) = 3(w1) + 0(w2)
T(v2) = T(-1,1) = (0, -3) = 0(w1) - 3(w2)

The coordinate matrices for T(v1) and T(v2) relative to B' are
[T(v1)]B' = (3, 0)
[T(v2)]B' = (0, -3)

The matrix for T relative to B and B' is formed by using these coordinate matrices as columns to produce:
A =
[3 0]
[0 -3]

The Attempt at a Solution

B = {v1, v2}
B' = {w1, w2, w3}

T(v1) = T(1,-1) = (0,1,1) = 0(w1) + 1(w2) + 1(w3) = (-1, 1, 0)
T(v2) = T(0,1) = (1,0,1) = 1(w1) + 0(w2) + 1(w3) = (2, 1, 1)

[T(v1)]B' = (-1, 1, 0)
[T(v2)]B' = (2, 1, 1)

Which creates the matrix:
[-1 2]
[1 1]
[0 1]

Apparently this matrix is incorrect, but the example in the book (which is given in part 2) states that, this should be the process, I am very lost and confused and have spent a good four hours on this single problem, trying to understand the concept

Physics news on Phys.org
RET80 said:

Homework Statement

Basically I need to find an equation that is relative to both B and B'
T: R^2 --> R^3, T(x,y) = (x+y,x,y)
B = {(1,-1),(0,1)}
B' ={(1,1,0),(0,1,1),(1,0,1)}

Homework Equations

THE ONLY example from the book (Elementary Linear Algebra by Larson and Falvo)
6.3 Example 5

Let T: R^2 --> R^2
T(x1, x2) = (x1+x2, 2x1-x2)

Find the matrix for T relative to the bases:
B ={(1,2),(-1,1)}
B'={(1,0),(0,1)}

By the definition of T, you have:
T(v1) = T(1,2) = (3,0) = 3(w1) + 0(w2)
T(v2) = T(-1,1) = (0, -3) = 0(w1) - 3(w2)

The coordinate matrices for T(v1) and T(v2) relative to B' are
[T(v1)]B' = (3, 0)
[T(v2)]B' = (0, -3)

The matrix for T relative to B and B' is formed by using these coordinate matrices as columns to produce:
A =
[3 0]
[0 -3]

The Attempt at a Solution

B = {v1, v2}
B' = {w1, w2, w3}

T(v1) = T(1,-1) = (0,1,1) = 0(w1) + 1(w2) + 1(w3) = (-1, 1, 0)
T(v2) = T(0,1) = (1,0,1) = 1(w1) + 0(w2) + 1(w3) = (2, 1, 1)
You made a small mistake calculating T(1,-1); it should be (0,1,-1).

The reason it's not working is because you've misinterpreted what they did in the example. The idea is to express each vector as a linear combination of w1, w2, and w3. In other words, find c1, c2, and c3 such that

(0,1,-1) = c1w1+c2w2+c3w3

and likewise for the second vector. These coefficients then become the columns of the matrix.
[T(v1)]B' = (-1, 1, 0)
[T(v2)]B' = (2, 1, 1)

Which creates the matrix:
[-1 2]
[1 1]
[0 1]

Apparently this matrix is incorrect, but the example in the book (which is given in part 2) states that, this should be the process, I am very lost and confused and have spent a good four hours on this single problem, trying to understand the concept

When I used c1w1 + c2w2 + c3w3 = v1 and v2 I got...

v1
c1 + c3 = 0
c1 + c2 = 1
c2 + c3 = -1

which then reduced down to the matrix:
[1 0 0 | 1]
[0 1 0 | 0]
[0 0 1 | -1]and v2
c1 + c3 = 1
c1 + c2 = 0
c2 + c3 = 1

which then reduced down to the matrix:
[1 0 0 | 0]
[0 1 0 | 0]
[0 0 1 | 1]

then I put both v1 and v2 together
[1 0]
[0 0]
[-1 1]

which still isn't correct...Is there something I'm missing or did I go wrong somewhere in my row reduction?
or does it have to do with [T(v)]B' ?

What I'm basically going to do after this is find T(v)
in the problem v is given to me as v=(5,4)
so I use B = (1,-1),(0,1)
and do a linear combination with it such as...

v = (5,4) = c1(1,-1) + c2(0,1)
c1 = 5
-c1 +c2 = 4

which reduced down to a matrix:
[1 0 | 5]
[0 1 | 9]

so then [v]B = (5,9)
then I multiply A[v]B to get my final answer which SHOULD be (9,5,4)

So I HAVE [v]B I just don't think I have A yet.

Last edited:
That's the correct answer for the problem you described. Why do you think it's wrong?

vela said:
That's the correct answer for the problem you described. Why do you think it's wrong?

the answer is 9, 5, 4 in the book but I'm getting 5, 0 4

if I multiply:
[1 0] [5]
[0 0] [9]
[-1 1]

I get (5,0,4) which is wrong...

Your book is wrong. You can write the transformation T as

[tex]T\begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}x+y\\x\\y\end{bmatrix} = x\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\0\end{bmatrix}+y\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Note the two constant vectors are first and third vectors in basis B'. That means the image of T can't include any vector where c2 isn't equal to 0, so (9, 5, 4) can't possibly be what (5, 9) maps to.

I am also on the same problem. Part A asks to find T(v) using the standard matrix.

T: R^2 --> R^3, T(x,y) = (x+y,x,y), v = (5,4)

so A =
[ 1 1 ;
1 0 ;
0 1 ]

and Av = (9,5,4) which is the answer given in the back of the book. So since the problem basically asks you to find A in 2 different ways (standard vs basis), shouldn't the book be right?Wait wait never mind, you are right vela, my prof attempted to do it a couple days ago, the book is wrong.

Last edited:
You're using a different vector than RET80. Which one is the correct one?

Your matrix A, which is 3x3, can't possibly be correct. You can't multiply it by a 2-component vector. The dimensions don't work out.

The A in my previous post is a 3x2, multiplied by a 2x1(v)

so A =
[1 1]
[1 0]
[0 1]

v =
[5]
[4]

Sorry I was using MATLAB notation with the semicolons.

A is found by finding the standard matrix of a linear transformation from T(x,y) = (x+y,x,y). Essentially this A matrix is what you have in post #6 with the 2 columns put together.

Last edited:

Related to Find T(v) by using the standard matrix and the matrix relative to B and B'

1. How do I find the standard matrix for a transformation?

The standard matrix for a transformation is found by representing the transformation as a linear combination of the standard basis vectors in the input and output space. The coefficients of each basis vector in the output space form the columns of the standard matrix.

2. What is the matrix relative to B and B'?

The matrix relative to B and B' represents how the basis vectors in the input and output space are related to each other. It is used to transform vectors from the original basis B to the new basis B'.

3. How do I use the standard matrix and the matrix relative to B and B' to find T(v)?

To find T(v), first represent the vector v as a linear combination of the basis vectors in the original basis B. Then use the matrix relative to B and B' to transform this representation to the new basis B'. Finally, multiply the resulting vector by the standard matrix to get the transformed vector T(v).

4. Can I use any basis B and B' to find the standard matrix and the matrix relative to B and B'?

Yes, you can use any basis B and B' to find the standard matrix and the matrix relative to B and B'. However, the resulting matrices will differ depending on the chosen bases. It is important to choose a basis that is most convenient for the given transformation.

5. How do I know if I have calculated the correct standard matrix and matrix relative to B and B'?

You can verify if you have calculated the correct matrices by performing the reverse transformation. If the resulting vector is the original vector v, then the matrices are correct. Additionally, you can use the matrices to perform transformations on other vectors and compare the results to known solutions.