Find tension in cables with forces acting on them.

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the force values in cable members AC and BC for a system with a frictionless pulley at D and a 300 N weight force. The relevant equations mentioned are F=ma and the trigonometric functions. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the total horizontal and vertical forces at C, and considering the possibility of halving the horizontal force to find each section separately.
proctortom

Homework Statement

LOOK AT ATTACHED IMAGE FOR DIAGRAM OF QUESTION

Assuming the pulley at D to be frictionless, determine the force values in cable members AC and BC due to the 300 N weight force for the system depicted in Fig. 3.

Homework Equations

F=ma (or F=mg)
Sin cos and tan functions

Not sure what else would be relevant here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the tension of the wire with the weight attached to be 300N (the force of the weight). From this i found:

Total horizontal force at C = 289.778N
Total vertical force at C = 77.646N

At first I thought that if i halved the horizontal force (289.778/2 = 144.889) then I could use that to find each section separately, but I have a gut feeling that it won't work that way... Help??

Physics news on Phys.org
image not attached.

Related to Find tension in cables with forces acting on them.

1. How do I determine the tension in a cable with multiple forces acting on it?

To find the tension in a cable, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the cable. Then, use the equations of equilibrium to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown tension. This involves balancing the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. What is the difference between tension and compression in a cable system?

Tension and compression are two types of forces that can act on a cable. Tension is a pulling force that stretches the cable, while compression is a pushing force that compresses the cable. In a cable system, tension is typically used to support the weight of the object being lifted, while compression is used to keep the cable from buckling under the weight.

3. Can the angle of the cables affect the tension in a cable system?

Yes, the angle of the cables can affect the tension in a cable system. The tension in a cable is directly proportional to the angle of the cable. This means that as the angle of the cable decreases, the tension in the cable also decreases. Therefore, it is important to consider the angle of the cable when calculating the tension in a cable system.

4. What happens to the tension in a cable if the forces acting on it change?

If the forces acting on a cable change, the tension in the cable will also change. As the forces increase, the tension in the cable will increase, and vice versa. This is because the tension in a cable is directly proportional to the magnitude of the forces acting on it.

5. Can you determine the tension in a cable if there is only one force acting on it?

Yes, it is possible to determine the tension in a cable with just one force acting on it. In this case, the tension in the cable is equal to the magnitude of the force. However, if there are multiple forces acting on the cable, you will need to use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown tension.