Find the Angle between Due East and the System after the Collision

In summary, the problem involves a hockey puck and a penguin colliding on frictionless ice. In part a, the problem asks for the final speed of the combined system, which is found to be 0.9 m/s. In part b, the problem asks for the angle between due east and the direction of motion of the combined system after the collision, which is found to be 107°. Finally, in part c, the problem involves a friendly skater pushing the penguin off the ice and asks for the direction of the penguin's momentum vector at the end of the push, which is found to be 7.3 m/s south and 5.6 m/s east. The penguin's final angle of
Art_Vandelay
Hi, everyone! This is my first post on this website. I answered the first part of the problem correctly, but I have gotten Part B wrong many times (after trying different approaches) and haven't attempted Part C yet. I would really appreciate any and all advice and assistance with this problem! Thank you!

Homework Statement

a) A hockey puck with mass 2m sliding on frictionless ice at an initial speed of va=0.5 m/s due north again collides with an small penguin of mass 4m sliding 20° west of north with a velocity of vb=1.1 m/s. Again, there are no injuries as the penguin hops onto the puck. Use the vector model and the Pythagorean theorem to determine their speed.

b) Find the angle between due east and the direction of the puck-penguin system after the collision. (Be sure to include the units on your answer.)

c) Our hapless 15-kg penguin is still sliding on the ice in the due east direction with a speed of 5.6 m/s. A friendly skater uses a broom to push the penguin gently off the ice. The skater exerts a force of 10 N to the south for 11 s to help the penguin off the ice. What is the direction of the penguin's momentum vector at the end of the push?

Homework Equations

pa + pb = pfinal
mava + mbvb = mfvf
a2 + b2 = c2

θ = tan-1(opp/adj)
vcm,x = (mava,x + mbvb,x) / (ma + mb)
vcm,y = (mava,y + mbvb,y) / (ma + mb)

∑F = Δp/Δt
Δp = J (impulse)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ma = 2m
va = 0.5 m/s (due north)
mb = 4m
vb = 1.1 m/s (at 20° west of north)

mava + mbvb = mfvf
(2m)(0.5) + (4m)(1.1) = (2m+ 4m)vfinal
5.4m/6m = vfinal
vfinal = 0.9 m/s [CORRECT]

b) For this, I used θ + 90° because I assumed that the puck-penguin system would have moved to the west, and if it's measured from the east x-axis, I think it would require an additional 90° added to the answer.

Attempt 1

I broke the velocities into component vectors: vxa = 0 m/s, vya = 0.5 m/s; vxb = 0.38 m/s, vyb = 1.0 m/s

θ = tan-1(opp/adj)
θ = tan-1((1.0 m/s + 0.5 m/s) / (0.38 m/s))
θ = 75.8°
θ + 90° = 165.8° [INCORRECT]

Attempt 2

Next, I tried using the center of mass components.

vcm,x = (mava,x + mbvb,x) / (ma + mb)
vcm,x = ((2m)(0) + (4m)(.38)) / 6m
vcm,x = .253 m/s

vcm,y = (mava,y + mbvb,y) / (ma + mb)
vcm,y = ((2m)(0.5) + (4m)(1.0)) / 6m
vcm,y = .833

θ = tan-1(opp/adj)
θ = 163.1°

Attempt 3: CORRECT ANSWER

θ = tan-1(opp/adj)
θ = tan-1((2*0.38 m/s) / ((2*1.0 m/s) + 0.5 m/s))
θ = 107° (Thank you, Nathanael!)

c) I'm really not sure how to start on this part.
So far, I have v1x = 5.6 m/s, v1y = 0 m/s; v2x = 0 m/s, v2y = 7.3 m/s

The v2y was found by using the following equation: ∑F = Δp/Δt
F = mv / t
((10 N)(11 s)) / 15 kg = v
v = 7.3 m/s (south)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first attempt was close, but you forgot to account for the mass. Your answer would be almost correct if they had the same mass.
(It would still be wrong, because you made one more small mistake: the "opposite" would actually be the component in the west direction, and the "adjacent" would be the North direction, this just comes from how you decided to define your angle.)

Do you know how to involve the masses of the objects to determine the direction?

P.S.
Welcome to Physics Forums!

EDIT:
Actually, if you wanted, the west direction could be the adjacent and the north could be the opposite. But if you did it this way, you would have to make the 0.38 negative (and then you'd have to add 180 since the range of arctangent is [-90°, 90°] so your angle is out of range)

Sorry if I'm making this confusing, it's hard to clearly say, but it's just trig

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Art_Vandelay said:
((10 N)(11 s)) / 15 kg = v
v = 7.3 m/s (south)

10N*11s would be the impulse right? Which, you said, is equal to Δp.

So if 10N*11s is the change in momentum, when you divide it by 15kg what number do you get?
(I know you get 7.3, but I mean, what does that number mean? What does it represent?)

Thank you! :)

In this case, since mb is twice as massive as ma, could I multiply the vb value by 2?

Or would I need to utilize a momentum equation?

Nathanael said:
10N*11s would be the impulse right? Which, you said, is equal to Δp.

So if 10N*11s is the change in momentum, when you divide it by 15kg what number do you get?
(I know you get 7.3, but I mean, what does that number mean? What does it represent?)
Since N is kg*m/s2, then dividing that by kg would result in the change in velocity (m/s), so the total of velocity components sum to 7.3 m/s, not only the v2y?

Art_Vandelay said:
Since N is kg*m/s2, then dividing that by kg would result in the change in velocity

Yes, exactly. That would be the change in velocity (7.3 m/s south)

So the final velocity would be 7.3 m/s south and 5.6 m/s east (Because [itex]V_f=V_i+ΔV[/itex])So what angle would the penguin be moving in?

Last edited:
Art_Vandelay said:
Thank you! :)

In this case, since mb is twice as massive as ma, could I multiply the vb value by 2?

Or would I need to utilize a momentum equation?

You could utilize a momentum equation if you want, but the result would just be what you said (multiply vb by 2)

The reason is simply that if it's twice as massive, it's going to contribute twice the effect on the final velocity

(If that's not intuitive to you, then you could use a momentum equation and derive it that way.)
Note that this intuition only applies because we only care about direction. If you wanted to find the speed, you would have to do it the way you did it in part A

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
Yes, exactly. That would be the change in velocity (7.3 m/s south)

So the final velocity would be 7.3 m/s south and 5.6 m/s east (Because [itex]V_f=V_i+ΔV[/itex])

So what angle would the penguin be moving in?

That makes so much sense!
So, θ = -tan-1(7.3/5.6)
θ = -52.5°

Thank you so much for all of your help, Nathanael! :)

Art_Vandelay said:
Thank you so much for all of your help, Nathanael! :)

You are welcome :)

Related to Find the Angle between Due East and the System after the Collision

1. What is the angle between due east and the system after the collision?

The angle between due east and the system after the collision can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the collision. It is important to gather data and use mathematical equations to calculate the angle accurately.

2. How do scientists determine the angle between due east and the system after the collision?

Scientists use mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and vector analysis to calculate the angle between due east and the system after the collision. This involves measuring the velocity and direction of the objects involved in the collision.

3. Can the angle between due east and the system after the collision change over time?

Yes, the angle between due east and the system after the collision can change over time as the objects involved in the collision may continue to move and interact with other forces. This change can also be influenced by external factors such as friction or gravitational pull.

4. How does the angle between due east and the system after the collision affect the outcome of the collision?

The angle between due east and the system after the collision is an important factor in determining the outcome of the collision. It can affect the direction and velocity of the objects after the collision, as well as the amount of energy transferred between them.

5. Why is it important for scientists to calculate the angle between due east and the system after the collision?

Calculating the angle between due east and the system after the collision allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. This information can be applied to various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to improve our understanding of the world around us.