Find the angle between two planes

In summary, the angle between the plane 3x+5y+7z = 1 and the plane z = 0 can be found by first finding the dot product of their normal vectors and then using the equation a.b=|a||b|cosθ to solve for the angle. The normal vectors for these planes are (3,5,7) and (0,0,1) respectively. The final answer is 39.79 degrees. This method can also be applied to finding the angle between two lines in 3D space.
hamsterB

Homework Statement

Find the angle between the plane 3x+5y+7z = 1 and the plane z = 0.

Homework Equations

a.b=|a||b|cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I know that I need to have both these planes in the form (x,y,z) and then find the dot product to find the angle between them. The problem I am having is with putting them in that form, at first I assumed plane 1 would just be (3,5,7) and plane 2 would be (0,0,1), but I have also read that to find the angle between to planes I need the normal vector to each plane, and this has confused me. Using these vectors I came up with the answer 30.8°, but I don't know if what I did was right! Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
(3,5,7) IS the normal vector to the plane, not the plane itself. Same for (0,0,1). It sounds like you are doing it correctly. I don't get the answer you got though. Can you show how your numbers worked?

I think the answer should be 39.8

can anyone help me with this question:
Find the angle between
(a) the line L1 given by the equations y = 2z, x = 0, and
(b) the line L2 given by the equations x = 3z, y = 0.

Sorry, working it out again I got 39.79;
a.b=(3x0+5x0+7x1) = 7
|a|=√83
|b|=√1
∴θ=cos-1(a.b/|a||b|)= 39.79

So for any equation ax+by+cz=d, will the normal vector always be (a,b,c)?
Thanks for your replies:)

fwang6 said:
can anyone help me with this question:
Find the angle between
(a) the line L1 given by the equations y = 2z, x = 0, and
(b) the line L2 given by the equations x = 3z, y = 0.
AXidenT posted this same question at
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=677426

FAQ: Find the angle between two planes

What is the definition of the angle between two planes?

The angle between two planes is the smallest angle formed by two intersecting lines, each passing through a point on one of the planes and being parallel to the other plane.

How is the angle between two planes calculated?

The angle between two planes can be calculated using the dot product of their normal vectors. The formula is given by cosθ = (n1 · n2) / (|n1| * |n2|), where n1 and n2 are the normal vectors of the planes and θ is the angle between them.

Can the angle between two planes be negative?

No, the angle between two planes is always positive. This is because the dot product of two vectors is always positive or zero, and the angle between two planes is calculated using the dot product formula.

What is the significance of the angle between two planes?

The angle between two planes can provide information about the relationship between them. If the angle is 0, the planes are parallel, if the angle is 90 degrees, the planes are perpendicular, and if the angle is 180 degrees, the planes are parallel but facing in opposite directions.

Is it possible for the angle between two planes to be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the angle between two planes is always between 0 and 180 degrees. This is because the dot product of two vectors can never be greater than the product of their magnitudes, and the angle between two planes is calculated using the dot product formula.

Back