Find the area bounded by the cardioid

In summary, the problem involves finding the area bounded by the cardioid x^2 + y^2 = (x^2+y^2)^{1/2} - y by switching to polar coordinates and using the Jacobian. The region is bounded by r = 1-sinθ where 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π. The integral is properly set up using the identity sin^2θ = (1/2)(1-cos(2θ)) and the region can be verified by graphing in polar coordinates.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the area bounded by the cardioid [itex]x^2 + y^2 = (x^2+y^2)^{1/2} - y[/itex]

Homework Equations

Area of R = [itex]\int \int_R dxdy = \int \int_{R'} |J| dudv[/itex]

J Is the Jacobian.

The Attempt at a Solution

Switching to polars, x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ our region becomes [itex]r^2 = r(1-sinθ) → r = 1-sinθ[/itex]
where 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π.

Also, the Jacobian of polars is just r.

So our integral becomes :

[itex]\int \int_R dxdy = \int \int_{R'} |J| dudv = \int_{0}^{2π} \int_{0}^{1-sinθ} r \space drdθ[/itex]

and using the identity [itex]sin^2θ = (1/2)(1-cos(2θ))[/itex], we can effectively evaluate it.

I have two concerns. The first concern is did I set this up right. My second concern which is more of a worry is how do I KNOW that 0 ≤ θ ≤2π without analytically showing it? It's leaving a sour taste that I'm not justifying it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks properly set up. Nice job. To answer your last question, I would draw the graph in polar coordinates to be sure. That is presumably no different than what you would do in any area problem in either rectangular or polar coordinates to check the limits and shape of the region. Polar graphs can surprise you by looping inside them selves or covering themselves more than once.

FAQ: Find the area bounded by the cardioid

1. What is a cardioid?

A cardioid is a geometric shape that resembles a heart. It is a curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls around another fixed circle of the same size.

2. How do you find the area bounded by a cardioid?

To find the area bounded by a cardioid, you can use the formula A = (3π/8)r^2, where r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived from the parametric equations of a cardioid.

3. Can you explain the parametric equations of a cardioid?

The parametric equations of a cardioid are x = r(2cosθ - cos2θ) and y = r(2sinθ - sin2θ), where θ is the parameter and r is the radius of the circle. These equations represent the coordinates of a point on the cardioid in terms of its angle θ.

4. How is a cardioid used in real life?

Cardioids can be found in many natural and man-made objects. For example, the shape of a drop of water falling from a faucet is a cardioid. They are also used in engineering and architecture, such as in the design of gears and camshafts.

5. Are there any variations of the cardioid shape?

Yes, there are many variations of the cardioid shape, such as the nephroid, which is formed by the reflection of a circle rolling inside another circle. Other variations include the the prolate and curtate cardioids, which are formed by varying the radius of the rolling circle.