Find the area enclosed by the parametric equation

In summary: Choose the upper one and integrate until you reach the lower one. That is the first part of the curve. Then you continue with the lower one until you reach the upper one. That is the second part. The limits of integration are the values of t where the curve crosses itself.
screechy

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equation
x = t3- 7t
y = 8t2

Homework Equations

A = ∫ y(t) x'(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially began with A = ∫ y(t) x'(t) dt
And got to ∫24t4-56t2dt and then to 24∫t4dt - 56∫t2dt
but without a limit/defined area I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.
At first I assumed the question wanted a general equation, in which case I came up with (24/5)t5 - (56/3)t3, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
screechy said:

It's been a while since I've done this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Try factoring ##x(t)=t^3-7t## and ##y(t)=8t^2## and look for the values of ##t## wherein ##x=0## and ##y=0##. Those should be your bounds. Again, it's been a while since I've done calculus so someone feel free to correct me.

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's been a while since I've done this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Try factoring ##x(t)=t^3-7t## and ##y(t)=8t^2## and look for the values of ##t## wherein ##x=0## and ##y=0##. Those should be your bounds. Again, it's been a while since I've done calculus so someone feel free to correct me.

In that case my roots for x would be √7, -√7 and 0, while y would only be 0. What would be my upper and lower bounds?
I just attempted to make them between 0 and √7 but the answer was wrong as well

screechy said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equation
x = t3- 7t
y = 8t2

Homework Equations

A = ∫ y(t) x'(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially began with A = ∫ y(t) x'(t) dt
And got to ∫24t4-56t2dt and then to 24∫t4dt - 56∫t2dt
At first I assumed the question wanted a general equation, in which case I came up with (24/5)t5 - (56/3)t3, but it doesn't seem to be working.
You need to know a bit about what the graph looks like. Apparently it crosses itself, enclosing a loop. If you have a parametric grapher that would be a place to start. Otherwise you can look for a values of ##t## where the graph crosses itself. That would be a values of ##t_1## and ##t_2## where ##(x(t_1),y(t_1)) = (x(t_2),y(t_2))##. Use your equations to figure that out. That will give your limits.

screechy said:
In that case my roots for x would be √7, -√7 and 0, while y would only be 0. What would be my upper and lower bounds?
I just attempted to make them between 0 and √7 but the answer was wrong as well
Eliminate t and find the curve in the (x,y) plane. Yes, it crosses itself at x=0, y=0, which corresponds to t=0. But there is an other crossing point. You get it if you express t as ##t=\pm\sqrt{y/8}## and substitute into the first equation. Because of the plus/minus sign, you get two branches which intersect - where?

Related to Find the area enclosed by the parametric equation

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. This allows for the representation of a curve or shape in a more versatile and flexible way compared to traditional equations.

2. How is the area enclosed by a parametric equation calculated?

The area enclosed by a parametric equation can be calculated using the formula A = ∫(y(t)x'(t))dt, where y(t) and x(t) represent the y and x coordinates of the parametric equation, and x'(t) is the derivative of x(t). This formula is derived from the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. Can the area enclosed by a parametric equation be negative?

No, the area enclosed by a parametric equation is always positive. This is because the formula for calculating the area involves taking the absolute value of the integrand, which ensures that the result is always positive.

4. What is the significance of finding the area enclosed by a parametric equation?

The area enclosed by a parametric equation is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, as it can represent the amount of space or volume enclosed by a particular curve or shape. It is also a useful tool in calculating quantities such as work or fluid flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations to find area?

One limitation of using parametric equations to find area is that it can only be applied to two-dimensional shapes. Additionally, the parametric equations must be well-defined and continuous in order for the area calculation to be accurate.