Find the area of the region shared by the curves

In summary, to find the area of the region shared by the curves r=6cosx and r=6sinx, you can integrate along the circle r=6sint from t=0 to t=pi/4 and double the value, or you can use two separate integrals along the sine and cosine curves from t=0 to t=pi/4 and from t=pi/4 to t=pi/2, respectively. Both methods will give the same area.
apiwowar
find the area of the region shared by the curves r=6cosx and r=6sinx

i know that if you graph those two functions you get two circles, both with radius 3, the first one has its center on the cartesian x-axis and the other has its center on the y axis.

i also know that if you draw a line through the center of where they meet the angle of that line is pi/4

what i don't know is which function to integrate and what would be the lower limit of integration.

i know that the formula is 1/2 integral from a to b of (g(x)^2 - f(x)^2)

making 6sinx the second function makes sense since that's the bottom part of the area that i want to find but you can't make the first function 6cosx and integrate from 0 to pi/4 because that would give you more than just where the two functions overlap

any help or ideas about how to solve this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula that you "know" is incorrect. A ray going out from the origin should extend to only one or the other of the two circles, so you won't have g(x)^2 - f(x)^2 in your integral. If you have drawn a sketch of the region you will see this.

An easy way to do this is to exploit the symmetry of the two curves, and integrate along the circle r = 6sint from t = 0 to t = pi/4, then double that value. Note that I changed the x you had to t (for theta), since the curves are (I believe) curves in polar coordinates, in which r and theta appear, but x and y don't.

Another way is one that doesn't exploit symmetry. To do it this way you need two integrals, one in which you integrate along the sine curve from t = 0 to pi/4, and the other in which you integrate along the cosine curve back to the origin, as t runs from pi/4 to pi/2.

Both techniques should give you the same area.

yea i used x instead of theta

but i completely see that now. i just wasnt thinking straight.

thanks

Related to Find the area of the region shared by the curves

1. What is the definition of "area of the region shared by the curves"?

The area of the region shared by the curves refers to the total amount of space enclosed by two or more curves or functions on a graph. This can also be thought of as the overlapping portion of the curves.

2. How do you find the area of the region shared by two curves?

To find the area of the region shared by two curves, you can use integration. First, identify the points of intersection between the curves. Then, set up the integral using the two curves as the upper and lower limits, and integrate the function in between those limits to find the area.

3. What if the curves intersect more than twice?

If the curves intersect more than twice, the area of the region shared by the curves can still be found using integration. You will need to set up multiple integrals, each with different limits for the points of intersection.

4. Can the curves be any type of function?

Yes, the curves can be any type of function, as long as they intersect at some point. This can include linear, quadratic, exponential, trigonometric, or any other type of function.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the area of the region shared by the curves?

No, there is not a specific formula for finding the area of the region shared by the curves. The method for finding the area involves using integration and setting up the appropriate limits based on the points of intersection between the curves.