Find the average power delivered by the voltage source

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of average power in a circuit using the formula P = 1/2 Vm*Im*cos(θv - θi). The speaker's attempt at the solution involves finding the total impedance and dividing the voltage by it, while the other speaker suggests finding the peak amplitudes of the voltage and current and using those in the formula. There is confusion over whether the voltage should be in rms or peak amplitude, and it is clarified that it should be in rms unless otherwise specified.
jkface

Homework Statement

z77CSJ9.jpg

Homework Equations

P = 1/2 Vm*Im*cos(θv - θi)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I added all the impedance values to find the total impedance seen by the source.

Zt = j10 + (50 || 20 + j10) = 15 +j5 Ω

Now since the circuit is not purely resistive, I can't just go Vrms^2 / R to find the average power. So I divided 240 by the total impedance to find I.

I = 240 / (15 + j5) = 8 - j8 A (rms)

The answer I get is as follows.

P = 1/2 240*(8-j8)*cos(45°) = 678.8 - j678.8 W

Am I correct in how i solved the problem? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh - I thought the average power would be the product of the average voltage and the average current.
But context is important and you are the one doing the course.

Power does not have a j component.
Power = i^2 * Re{Zt} so find i = V/|Zt|.

I think you forgot to add the first j10 term:
Zt = j10 + (50 || (20 + j10)) = ?

This:

gives you the real/average power when Vm and I am are the peak amplitudes (real number) of the voltage and current, respectively.

If 240 V is the RMS amplitude of the voltage source, you have:
P = 1/2*sqrt(2)*Vrms*sqrt(2)*Irms*(θv - θi) = Vrms*Irms*(θv - θi)

Last edited:
rude man said:
Power does not have a j component.
Power = i^2 * Re{Zt} so find i = V/|Zt|.

I think if you multiply 1/2 to the power equation this approach would be correct. but why do you think I can't get the same answer when I try to solve the problem like how I stated in the problem?

Since Average Power = 1/2 Vm*Im*cos(θv - θi), and I = 8 - j8 = 11.3∠-45°, can't I just go

(1/2)*240*11.3*cos(0-(-45)°)?

This would give 958.8 W while your method gives 2840.9 W.

milesyoung said:
I think you forgot to add the first j10 term:
Zt = j10 + (50 || (20 + j10)) = ?

This:

gives you the real/average power when Vm and I am are the peak amplitudes (real number) of the voltage and current, respectively.

If 240 V is the RMS amplitude of the voltage source, you have:
P = 1/2*sqrt(2)*Vrms*sqrt(2)*Irms*(θv - θi) = Vrms*Irms*(θv - θi)

I'm confused. Isn't Vm (not V rms) 240 V?

Last edited:
jkface said:
I'm confused. Isn't Vm (not V rms) 240 V?

No. V is always in rms unless specifically contraindicated.

If it said 240sin(wt) V then yes.

rude man said:
No. V is always in rms unless specifically contraindicated.

If it said 240sin(wt) V then yes.

The original problem states the voltage source privodes 240∠0° V. Since this is a complex number isn't it the same thing as saying 240cos(wt) V (hence Vm = 240V) ?

jkface said:
The original problem states the voltage source privodes 240∠0° V. Since this is a complex number isn't it the same thing as saying 240cos(wt) V (hence Vm = 240V) ?

[tex]
240 \angle 0^\circ = 240 e^{j 0}
[/tex]
It's a constant, there's no time dependency. In your book there should be a section that explains what the convention for phasor magnitude is. It's usually the RMS amplitude of the sinusoidal function unless otherwise noted, especially in AC power, but your book might differ.

Related to Find the average power delivered by the voltage source

1. What is the definition of average power?

The average power is the amount of energy transferred per unit time. It is calculated by dividing the total energy transferred by the time taken.

2. How is the average power delivered by a voltage source calculated?

The average power delivered by a voltage source is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current values of the source and taking the average over a specific time period.

3. Why is it important to calculate the average power of a voltage source?

Calculating the average power of a voltage source is important in understanding the amount of energy being transferred and the efficiency of the source. It also helps in determining the appropriate size and capacity of the source for a specific application.

4. Can the average power of a voltage source change over time?

Yes, the average power of a voltage source can change over time if the voltage or current values change. It can also change if the source is being used for different purposes or if the load on the source changes.

5. How does the average power of a voltage source affect the overall circuit?

The average power of a voltage source affects the overall circuit by determining the amount of energy available for the circuit to function. It also affects the heating and efficiency of the components in the circuit.