Find the buoyant force on a hot air balloon

In summary: So in this case, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the hot air balloon (2800 kg) times 10 m/s^2, or 280 N.
PHart111

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the buoyant force on a hot air balloon. The mass of the displaced fluid is 2800 kg and the acceleration is that of gravity, (let's say 10 m/s^2).

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that you can just multiply these together to find this, or do you have to subtract the weight of the hot air balloon from it as well.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
PHart111 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the buoyant force on a hot air balloon. The mass of the displaced fluid is 2800 kg and the acceleration is that of gravity, (let's say 10 m/s^2).

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that you can just multiply these together to find this, or do you have to subtract the weight of the hot air balloon from it as well.

Thank you

I think you are missing some information. A hot air balloon floats because the hot air inside the balloon is less dense the the surrounding air. I think we also need the temperature of the hot air in the balloon and the temperature of the air outside the balloon?

PHart111 said:
What is the exact problem you are trying to solve? The buoyant force is the upward force exerted by the surrounding fluid (the air)--it has nothing to do with the weight of the balloon. If you want the net force on the balloon, then you'd need to subtract the weight of the balloon (and anything attached to it).

Per Archimedes's principle, the buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid, which is its mass times g.

Related to Find the buoyant force on a hot air balloon

1. How do you calculate the buoyant force on a hot air balloon?

The buoyant force on a hot air balloon can be calculated by subtracting the weight of the displaced air from the weight of the balloon and its contents. This can be expressed as: Buoyant force = Weight of balloon + Weight of contents - Weight of displaced air.

2. What factors affect the buoyant force on a hot air balloon?

The buoyant force on a hot air balloon is affected by the volume of the balloon, the density of the air, and the weight of the balloon and its contents. Additionally, changes in temperature and altitude can also impact the buoyant force.

3. How does the buoyant force help a hot air balloon stay afloat?

The buoyant force helps a hot air balloon stay afloat by providing an upward force that is greater than the weight of the balloon and its contents. This allows the balloon to rise and float in the air.

4. Can the buoyant force on a hot air balloon be adjusted?

Yes, the buoyant force on a hot air balloon can be adjusted by changing the temperature of the air inside the balloon. Heating the air will decrease its density, resulting in a greater buoyant force and causing the balloon to rise. Cooling the air will increase its density, resulting in a lower buoyant force and causing the balloon to descend.

5. Why do hot air balloons rise?

Hot air balloons rise because the air inside the balloon is heated, causing it to become less dense than the surrounding air. This creates a buoyant force that is greater than the weight of the balloon and its contents, allowing it to float upwards.