Find the center of mass of a lamina

In summary, the boundary of a lamina is composed of two semicircles and portions of the x-axis, and the center of mass can be found using the equation M \bar{y} = \int_M y dm, where the mass of an elemental section is dm = σdθdr and the x-coordinate of the center of mass will be along the y-axis due to the symmetry of the object and density. Using polar coordinates is a helpful approach to solving this type of problem.
paraboloid
The boundary of a lamina consists of the semicircles [tex]y=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] and [tex]y=\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex] together with the portions of the x-axis that join them. Find the center of mass of the lamina if the density at any point is proportional to its distance from the origin.

I drew a graph that looks like this
j8z4w2.png

I know that polar coordinates are a good tool to use for circle type questions like this, but I've never encountered something like this before.
If anyone could just step me in the right direction, that would be great,
Thanks

Attachments

• j8z4w2.png
    477.8 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
With composite objects like that, you can just consider the entire thing, and then subtract the smaller circle.

Your relevant equation should be

[tex]M \bar{y} = \int_M y dm[/tex]

So start with a general circle of radius R.

If you consider an elemental section at an angle dθ, which has a mass dm and with length dr.

What is the mass of that element dm equal to ?

(I am assuming σ is the area density)

That is a very good strategy I overlooked. Thanks so much.

To add a small bit to what rock.freak667 said, you don't need to solve for [itex]M_{\bar{x}}[/itex], since the x-coordinate of the center of mass will be somewhere along the y-axis (by the symmetry of the object and the density).

Related to Find the center of mass of a lamina

1. What is the definition of the center of mass of a lamina?

The center of mass of a lamina is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. In other words, if all the mass of the lamina were to be evenly distributed, the center of mass would be the point at which it would be perfectly balanced.

2. How is the center of mass of a lamina calculated?

The center of mass of a lamina can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the coordinates of all the individual points on the lamina. This means that each point's coordinates are multiplied by its mass and then divided by the total mass of the lamina.

3. Why is finding the center of mass of a lamina important?

Finding the center of mass of a lamina is important because it allows us to understand the overall balance and stability of the object. This information is useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and even sports, as it can help us predict how an object will move or behave.

4. Can the center of mass of a lamina be located outside of the object?

Yes, the center of mass of a lamina can be located outside of the object, especially if the object has an irregular shape. This means that the object may not be perfectly balanced, and it may have a tendency to rotate around its center of mass.

5. How does the shape of a lamina affect its center of mass?

The shape of a lamina has a significant impact on its center of mass. Objects with a larger surface area or mass concentrated towards one side will have a center of mass closer to that side. In contrast, objects with a smaller surface area or evenly distributed mass will have a center of mass closer to the center of the object.