Find the centripetal acceleration of the moon

In summary, the moon orbits the Earth at a distance of 250000 miles with a period of 27.3 days. To find the centripetal acceleration of the moon, the formula ac = v^2/r was used. After converting the time and distance units, a calculation was made to find the acceleration, but an error was made due to confusion between angular velocity and velocity. A different formula for acceleration using angular velocity and radius was suggested. The distance between the moon and Earth was clarified as the 250000 miles, and it was noted that the Earth's radius does not need to be included in the calculation. The final solution involved finding the circumference of the orbit and dividing it by the time period in seconds.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

The moon circles the Earth with a period of 27.3 days at a distance of about 250000 mi. Find the centripetal acceleration of the moon.

Homework Equations

ac = v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the velocity by converting 2 pi radians per 27.3 days to radians per second.
2 pi / 27.3/ 24/ 60/60 = 2.66 x 10-6 radians per second.
Then I converted miles to meters to find the radius.
250000 x 1609.34 / 2 pi = 631986340.1
Then I plugged these numbers into the above equation to find the acceleration and got 1.12 x 10-20 rad/s. The correct answer is 2.85 x 10-3 rad/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you're confusing the angular velocity with the velocity. Also 250000miles is the radius already. No need to divide by 2 pi. Finally, you made some other mistake. I can't tell what it is since you didn't post your calculation. Don't just describe your calculation. Post it.

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
Seems like you're confusing the angular velocity with the velocity. Also 250000miles is the radius already. No need to divide by 2 pi. Finally, you made some other mistake. I can't tell what it is since you didn't post your calculation. Don't just describe your calculation. Post it.

Sorry (2.66 x 10-6)2/631986340.1 = 1.12 x 10-20

In your formula ac = v2/r, v is the velocity in meters/second, not the angular velocity in radians/second.

There is a different formula for the acceleration that uses angular velocity and radius, if you want to do it that way.

AlephZero said:
In your formula ac = v2/r, v is the velocity in meters/second, not the angular velocity in radians/second.

There is a different formula for the acceleration that uses angular velocity and radius, if you want to do it that way.
OK I see. Is the 250000 mi the radius or the circumference?

BrainMan said:
OK I see. Is the 250000 mi the radius or the circumference?

That's the distance between the moon and the earth. Draw a picture of the orbit, and remember that the Earth barely moves at all.

Likes 1 person
BrainMan said:
at a distance of about 250000 mi.

dauto said:
250000miles is the radius already.
If it is 250000 mi above the Earth, it should not be the radius. Thou should also include the Radius of the Earth. Am I wrong?

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
That's the distance between the moon and the earth. Draw a picture of the orbit, and remember that the Earth barely moves at all.

I understand that. How do I find the velocity in m/s?

BrainMan said:
I understand that. How do I find the velocity in m/s?

Find the circumference of the orbit (in meters) and divide it by however many seconds are in 27.3 days

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
Find the circumference of the orbit (in meters) and divide it by however many seconds are in 27.3 days

OK I got it right! Thanks!

adjacent said:
If it is 250000 mi above the Earth, it should not be the radius. Thou should also include the Radius of the Earth. Am I wrong?

That's negligible specially considering that the moon's orbit really isn't circular. We're going for a ball park calculation here.

FAQ: Find the centripetal acceleration of the moon

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to the moon?

The moon experiences centripetal acceleration because it is constantly moving in a circular path around the Earth due to the force of gravity. This acceleration keeps the moon in its orbit around the Earth.

3. How is the centripetal acceleration of the moon calculated?

The centripetal acceleration of the moon can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the moon, and r is the radius of its orbit around the Earth.

4. What is the velocity of the moon?

The velocity of the moon varies depending on its position in its orbit, but on average it is approximately 3,600 km/hour.

5. Why is the centripetal acceleration of the moon important?

The centripetal acceleration of the moon is important because it is what keeps the moon in its orbit around the Earth. Without this acceleration, the moon would fly off into space or crash into the Earth.