Find the component of the Force along AC

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving breaking a 350-lb force into components along two lines, AB and AC. The component along AC is found to be 239 lb, with the help of redrawing the picture and using ƩFy and ƩFx equations. The conversation also mentions a similar problem involving a mass suspended by two cables and how to approach finding the tensions in that scenario.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The 350-lb force is to be broken into components along the
lines AB and AC.
2. The component along AC is most nearly
1. 175.0 lb
2. 186.2 lb
3. 202 lb
4. 225 lb
5. 239 lb
6. 268 lb
7. 294 lb
8. 303 lb
9. 404 lb
10. 457 lb

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had thought that I could do 350cos(30) = 303.1
But this answer is wrong. The answer is supposed to be 239 lb but I don't understand how to get it.

Help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sample final number 2.png
    Sample final number 2.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 821
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose instead that there was a mass producing the same force but suspended by two cables with the same geometry (but inverted, of course). How would you approach the problem of finding the tensions?

Now I get it. Redrawing the picture as you suggested helped me recognize that I'd dealt with this before.

ƩFy=0
0 = -350 + ACsin(60) + ABsin(50)

ƩFx=0
0= AC cos(60) - ABcos(50)

Rearranging this we get:

AB= ACcos(60)/cos(50)

Then I can plug this into the ƩFy thus allowing me to solve for Ac which is 239 lb.

Thanks for your help. That change in perspective really opened the question up.

FAQ: Find the component of the Force along AC

1. What does "Find the component of the Force along AC" mean?

The component of the Force along AC refers to the amount of force that acts in the same direction as the line AC. This is important in determining the net force acting on an object in a given direction.

2. How is the component of the Force along AC calculated?

The component of the Force along AC can be calculated using trigonometry. It involves finding the cosine of the angle between the force vector and the line AC and multiplying it by the magnitude of the force.

3. Why is it important to find the component of the Force along AC?

Finding the component of the Force along AC is important in analyzing the motion of an object. It helps in determining the direction and magnitude of the net force acting on the object, which ultimately affects its acceleration and movement.

4. Can the component of the Force along AC be negative?

Yes, the component of the Force along AC can be negative if the force vector and the line AC are in opposite directions. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the line AC.

5. How does finding the component of the Force along AC relate to vector addition?

The component of the Force along AC is one of the ways to analyze vector addition. It helps in breaking down a force vector into its components in different directions, making it easier to calculate the net force using vector addition.

Back