Find the current through the 100 Ohm resistor:

In summary, the poster is struggling with finding the current through the 100 Ohm resistor in a circuit with multiple resistors and nodes. They have tried simplifying some of the resistors but are unsure how to proceed. They have considered using a Y-Δ transform but are unsure if it is worth the effort. They have been advised to use KVL, KCL, or other circuit analysis techniques to solve the problem.
Jormungandr

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/sohdpyE

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to simplify the 100 and 500 resistors, as well as the 20, 20 and 10 series resistors, but I can't seem to discern at all whether any of the remaining ones are in series or parallel. I used a circuit simulator online which seems to think that the current is 53.3mA, but of course I can't even get the equivalent resistance, much less find the current. I just don't know how at all to work with circuits that have nodes like these running through them. Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jormungandr said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/sohdpyE

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to simplify the 100 and 500 resistors, as well as the 20, 20 and 10 series resistors, but I can't seem to discern at all whether any of the remaining ones are in series or parallel. I used a circuit simulator online which seems to think that the current is 53.3mA, but of course I can't even get the equivalent resistance, much less find the current. I just don't know how at all to work with circuits that have nodes like these running through them. Help is appreciated. Thanks!

If you reach a point where there's no obvious way forward by way of simplification of the network, it may be time to break out KVL, KCL, and your favorite circuit analysis techniques to solve for the current.

I can see that a Y-Δ transform might "unstick" things, but it's often more effort than its worth when a little loop, nodal or mesh analysis will crack the problem quite handily without requiring any simplifications.

Related to Find the current through the 100 Ohm resistor:

1. What is the formula for calculating current?

The formula for calculating current is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do I determine the voltage in the circuit?

To determine the voltage in the circuit, you can use a multimeter or measure the voltage across the power source. You can also use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

3. How do I find the resistance of the 100 Ohm resistor?

The resistance of a resistor is typically labeled on the component itself. If it is not labeled, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance or use the color code bands on the resistor to determine the value.

4. What unit is current measured in?

Current is measured in amperes (A), which is the unit for electric current in the International System of Units (SI).

5. What does the 100 Ohm resistor do in the circuit?

The 100 Ohm resistor limits the amount of current flowing through the circuit. It helps maintain a consistent flow of electricity and protects other components from damage.