Find the deflection of the following points

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of displacement using the given values for area, modulus of elasticity, and applied forces. The correct equation for calculating \delta_B is provided, and the importance of drawing free body diagrams and considering equilibrium when summing forces is emphasized. The conversation also mentions a similar problem with a constant diameter and different modulus of elasticity for two parts, where the same approach was successful.
Dell
in this question

Capture.JPG

A1=8*10-4m2
A2=5*10-4m2
E=70*109Pa
F1=-100*103N
F2=75*103N
F3=50*103N

[tex]\sigma[/tex]=F/A
[tex]\epsilon[/tex]=[tex]\sigma[/tex]/E = [tex]\frac{F}{A*E}[/tex]
[tex]\delta[/tex]=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*L = [tex]\frac{F*L}{A*E}[/tex]

[tex]\delta[/tex]B = [tex]\frac{F1*1.75}{A1*E}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{F2*3}{A1*E}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{F3*3}{A2*E}[/tex] = 5.1785*10-3m

but that's not right

even looking at the second answer
i thought

[tex]\delta[/tex]D=[tex]\delta[/tex]B + [tex]\frac{F3*1.5}{A2*E}[/tex]
but if i plug in THEIR answer for [tex]\delta[/tex]D i get 2.924mm and not the 5.7 they say

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The forces used in the second and third terms of your equation for [tex]\delta_B[/tex] are wrong. You have to take a cut at each point, draw a free body diagram and sum the forces for equilibrium

if so, then why not for the 1st term as well?

for a similar problem, but where the diameter was constant and the E was different for the 2 parts, i did exactly that and it worked.

i got it, thankls for the help

FAQ: Find the deflection of the following points

1. What does "deflection" mean in this context?

"Deflection" refers to the displacement or bending of an object or structure from its original position or shape. In this context, it typically refers to the amount of bending or movement at specific points along the object or structure.

2. How is the deflection of a point calculated?

The deflection of a point is typically calculated using equations based on the properties and dimensions of the object or structure, as well as the applied forces or loads. In some cases, computer simulations or physical experiments may also be used to determine the deflection.

3. What factors can affect the deflection of a point?

The deflection of a point can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material properties of the object or structure, the dimensions and shape of the object, the magnitude and direction of applied forces or loads, and the support or boundary conditions.

4. How can the deflection of a point be measured?

The deflection of a point can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as strain gauges, displacement sensors, or laser measurement tools. These methods can provide accurate and precise measurements of the displacement or bending at specific points on an object or structure.

5. Why is it important to find the deflection of points?

The deflection of points is an important aspect of structural and mechanical engineering, as it can help determine the stability, strength, and safety of a structure under different loading conditions. It is also useful in designing and optimizing structures for specific purposes, such as minimizing deflection in bridges or maximizing deflection in springs for certain applications.