Find the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air

In summary: The tube was thrust vertically into the water until water rose halfway up in the pipe. The depth of the tube in the water was found to be 3.14 m.
KEØM

Homework Statement

A tube of length L = 25 m that is open at one end contains air at atmospheric pressure. This is done in Denver so atmospheric pressure P = .667 X (1.10 X 105 Pa). The tube is thrust vertically into a freshwater lake until water rises halfway up in the pipe. Find the depth of the tube in the water. Note: air can be treated as an ideal gas.

In the attachment there is a picture on problem #5. The picture will really help clarify the problem.

Homework Equations

P = P(initial) + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the pressure of the air inside the tube and I also know that the forces exerted by the air and the water are the same but I am just not sure how to tie all of these things together to find the depth.

Attachments

• Ch15Homework.doc
    34 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the pressure of the compressed air in the tube?

Isn't it equal to the atmospheric pressure?

KEØM said:
Isn't it equal to the atmospheric pressure?
Not after being compressed. (How did its volume change?)

By putting it in the water the volume was halved so the pressure is the atmospheric pressure divided by 2?

KEØM said:
By putting it in the water the volume was halved so the pressure is the atmospheric pressure divided by 2?
No. Use the hint that the air can be treated as an ideal gas. (What's the ideal gas law?) You can assume the temperature is constant.

But I don't know the volume or the number of moles either.

KEØM said:
But I don't know the volume or the number of moles either.
You don't care about the actual volume, only that it went from V to V/2. The number of moles is constant.

Ok so I solved for pressure now can I use this in the formula P = P(initial) + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd but I am not sure if that will work.

Make use of the fact that the pressure must be the same at the same height in a fluid. What must the water pressure be right at the air/water interface in the tube?

Related to Find the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air

1. How do you find the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air?

To find the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air, you will need to use the equation for buoyancy. This equation states that the upward buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. By measuring the weight of the tube when it is fully submerged in water and when it is half filled with air, you can calculate the depth of the tube using this equation.

2. What is the purpose of determining the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air?

Determining the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air can be useful in a variety of fields, such as engineering, environmental science, and oceanography. It can help in the design and construction of structures that will be exposed to water, as well as in understanding the dynamics of water and air interactions in natural systems.

3. Does the shape or size of the tube affect the calculation of its depth?

Yes, the shape and size of the tube can affect the calculation of its depth. This is because the buoyant force acting on the tube depends on its volume and shape. A larger or differently shaped tube will displace a different amount of water, resulting in a different buoyant force and therefore a different depth calculation.

4. What are the units of measurement used in determining the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air?

The units of measurement used in determining the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air will depend on the units used to measure the weight of the tube and the density of the fluid. For example, if the weight is measured in kilograms and the density in kilograms per cubic meter, the depth will be measured in meters.

5. Are there any limitations to using the buoyancy equation to find the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the buoyancy equation to find the depth of a tube submerged in water that is half filled with air. This equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that there are no other forces acting on the tube, such as wind or currents. It also assumes that the tube is fully submerged and that there are no air pockets or bubbles present. If these conditions are not met, the calculated depth may not be accurate.