Find the derivative of the vector function

In summary, to find the derivative of the vector function r(t) = ta x (b + tc), first expand the cross product to (axb)t+(axc)t^2. Then, differentiate each term with respect to t, keeping in mind that a, b, and c are all constant vectors.
xstetsonx
Find the derivative of the vector function r(t) = ta x (b + tc)
a=<-2,2,-1> b=<-1,1,1> c=<-2,2,4>

I know r(t)=ta x (b + tc)=(axb)t+(axc)t^2
then i got lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xstetsonx! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
xstetsonx said:
I know r(t)=ta x (b + tc)=(axb)t+(axc)t^2

ok, now differentiate wrt t. :smile:

don't know how because they are all numbers. Should i do the cross product or what do i do?

uhh? everything except t is a constant :confused:

Everything except t is a constant vector. t is the only numeric variable in the problem.

Related to Find the derivative of the vector function

1. What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more variables and returns a vector as its output. The vector can have multiple components and can represent quantities such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What does it mean to find the derivative of a vector function?

Finding the derivative of a vector function means determining the rate of change of the vector with respect to its input variables. This can be thought of as the slope of the vector at a specific point, or the direction and magnitude of its change over a small interval.

3. How do you find the derivative of a vector function?

To find the derivative of a vector function, you can use the same methods as finding the derivative of a scalar function, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. However, with vector functions, you will need to apply these rules to each component of the vector separately.

4. Why is finding the derivative of a vector function important?

Finding the derivative of a vector function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the vector over time or space. It can help us calculate important quantities such as velocity and acceleration, and can also be used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of a vector function?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the derivative of a vector function. One example is when the vector function is constant, meaning its components do not change with respect to its input variables. In this case, the derivative will be zero for all input values. Another special case is when the vector function has multiple inputs, in which case we will need to use the partial derivative instead of the regular derivative.