Find the determinant of the metric on some graph

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the determinant of the metric in order to compute the area of a smooth manifold, given that the metric on ##\mathbb{R}^n## is the Kronecker delta. The formula for the metric is given and it is suggested to find the coordinates ##\xi^a## using the transformation law between the Cartesian and the new coordinate system. It is also noted that the formula should have partial derivatives.
Jonsson
Hello there,

Suppose $f$ smoothly maps a domain ##U## of ##\mathbb{R}^2## into ##\mathbb{R}^3## by the formula ##f(x,y) = (x,y,F(x,y))##. We know that ##M = f(U)## is a smooth manifold if ##U## is open in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Now I want to find the determinant of the metric in order to compute the area of the manifold
$$
I = \int 1 |g|^{1/2} d^2x
$$
I guess that the metric on ##\mathbb{R}^n## is the Kronecker delta, so that
$$
g_{ij} = \frac{d\xi^a}{dx^i} \frac{d\xi^b}{dx^j} \delta_{ab}
$$
So if I can find ##\xi^a##, my task is easy. How do I determine ##\xi^a##. Any hints/help/solutions? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think your ##\xi^\rho## are given by the transformation law between the Cartesian and your new coordinate system. Maybe some mentor can correct me if I'm mistaken it.

Jonsson said:
I want to find the determinant of the metric

The metric of what?

Jonsson said:
if I can find ##\xi^a##,

What do ##\xi^a## represent?

Jonsson said:
I guess that the metric on ##\mathbb{R}^n## is the Kronecker delta, so that
$$
g_{ij} = \frac{d\xi^a}{dx^i} \frac{d\xi^b}{dx^j} \delta_{ab}
$$
So if I can find ##\xi^a##, my task is easy. How do I determine ##\xi^a##. Any hints/help/solutions? Thanks

This formula gives the "pullback" of the Euclidean metric on ##\mathbb{R}^3## (##\delta_{ab}## where ##a,b \in \{1,2,3\}##) to the metric on your embedded surface (##g_{ij}## where ##i,j \in \{1,2\}##). So the ##\xi^a## are just the coordinates of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, in this case

$$ \xi^1 = x, \qquad \xi^2 = y, \qquad \xi^3 = F(x,y). $$
Note that your formula ought to have partial derivatives:

$$ g_{ij} = \frac{\partial \xi^a}{\partial x^i} \frac{\partial \xi^b}{\partial x^j} \delta_{ab}. $$

FAQ: Find the determinant of the metric on some graph

1. What is the determinant of a metric on a graph?

The determinant of a metric on a graph is a numerical value that represents the size and shape of the graph. It is calculated using the edges and vertices of the graph and can provide information about the connectivity and distances between points on the graph.

2. How do you find the determinant of a metric on a graph?

The determinant of a metric on a graph can be found by using a matrix representation of the graph's edges and vertices. The determinant is then calculated using matrix operations, such as row reduction and multiplication. Software programs, such as MATLAB, can also be used to calculate the determinant of a metric on a graph.

3. What does the determinant of a metric on a graph tell us about the graph?

The determinant of a metric on a graph can provide information about the connectivity and distances between points on the graph. It can also tell us about the shape and size of the graph, such as whether it is a planar graph or a non-planar graph.

4. Can the determinant of a metric on a graph be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a metric on a graph can be negative. This can occur if the graph has a negative edge or if the graph is directed. In these cases, the negative determinant may indicate that the graph is not a valid metric space.

5. How is the determinant of a metric on a graph used in graph theory?

The determinant of a metric on a graph is used in graph theory to study the properties and characteristics of the graph. It can help determine if the graph is connected, planar, or has certain symmetries. It can also be used to analyze data represented by the graph, such as distances between points or relationships between variables.