Find the difference in voltage at different points in a circuit.

In summary, For part (a), the voltage difference between X and Y is 30 V. For part (b), the voltage difference across element C is 48 V.
Llamas

Homework Statement

A section of a circuit XY shown below absorbs 50 W of power when a current I = 1.0 A passes through it as indicated by the arrow labeled i.
physicsstuff.png

(a) What is the voltage difference between X and Y?
(b) What is the voltage difference across element C?

Homework Equations

V = IR
P = (V2)/R
P = (I2)R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answers for both parts, but I'm not confident about them.

(a) P = V2/R
R = V/I
P = V2/(V/I) = IV
Vx= P/I = (50 W) (1.0 A) = 50 V

P = I2R
I =[itex]\sqrt{P/R}[/itex]
Vy= IR = [itex]\sqrt{P/R}[/itex]*R = [itex]\sqrt{(50 W)/(2 Ω)}[/itex]*(2 Ω)
= 20V

Vx - Vy = 50 V - 20 V = 30 V

(b) Wouldn't it be 0? Why would the voltage change across the capacitor?

Edit: Maybe it's not a capacitor and I'm confused?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
C is not a capacitor. It's just some "unknown circuit element", which is why it just appears as a block. (For one thing, look up the circuit symbol for a capacitor -- it is different).

To find the voltage across C:

- You know the voltage across both.
- You can find the voltage across the 2-ohm resistor using Ohm's law
- The voltage across element C has to be the difference between the above two voltages , since they are in series. In other words, the voltage across the 2-ohm resistor and the voltage across element C have to add up to 50 V.

Thanks!
For the second part, following your advice, I did:
Vc1 = IR = (1.00 A) (2 Ω) = 2 V

Vc1 + Vc2 = 50V
2 V + Vc2 = 50 V
Vc2 = 48 V

FAQ: Find the difference in voltage at different points in a circuit.

1. What is the difference in voltage at different points in a circuit?

The difference in voltage at different points in a circuit, also known as voltage drop, is the change in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. This difference is caused by the flow of electrons through resistive elements in the circuit.

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In other words, V = I x R. This means that as the current increases or the resistance decreases, the voltage drop will also increase.

3. Why is it important to measure voltage drop in a circuit?

Measuring voltage drop is important because it allows us to identify any issues or inefficiencies in a circuit. A significant voltage drop can indicate a problem such as a faulty component or a high resistance connection, which can lead to overheating and other safety hazards.

4. How does the length of a wire affect voltage drop?

The length of a wire can affect voltage drop because it increases the resistance in the circuit. As the wire gets longer, the resistance increases, causing more voltage to be dropped across the wire. This is why it is important to use appropriately sized wires in circuits to minimize voltage drop.

5. Can voltage drop be eliminated in a circuit?

In theory, voltage drop can be eliminated by using a superconductor, which has zero resistance. However, in practical applications, voltage drop cannot be completely eliminated. It can be minimized by using proper wiring and components with low resistance, but there will always be some voltage drop in a circuit.

Back