Find the direction in which slope is the steepest

In summary, the problem involves finding the steepest slope on a hill described by the function z=(2xy)-(3x^2)-(4y^2)-(18x)+(28y)+12, where x and y represent distances east and north respectively. The solution involves calculating the gradient vector, which points in the direction of greatest increase, and using the dot product to find the angle it makes with the x-axis. The correct answer is either 135° or -45°, depending on whether the function is missing a minus sign.
wifi
Problem:

The height of a hill (in meters) is given by [z=(2xy)-(3x^2)-(4y^2)-(18x)+(28y)+12], where x is the distance east, y is the distance north of the origin. In which compass direction is the slope at x=y=1 the steepest?

Solution (so far):

Does it have something to do with the gradient?

Physics news on Phys.org
wifi said:
Does it have something to do with the gradient?
Since the gradient vector points in maximal increase of a multivariate function, and z here represents a height then grad(z) will point where the height increases most rapidly, I.e where it is most steep. So yes, the gradient would certainly be helpful here.

I thought so, but I don't see how I'd be able to find the direction by calculating grad(z). Any suggestions?

wifi said:
I thought so, but I don't see how I'd be able to find the direction by calculating grad(z). Any suggestions?

The ##∇z## will give you a vector ...

So, the gradient of Z at a point is a vector pointing in the direction of the steepest slope.

I calculated ## \nabla z(x,y)= (-6x+2y-18)\hat{i}+(2x-8y+28)\hat{j} ##.

So this is a vector pointing in the direction of greatest increase (ie. the steepest).

Thus, ## \nabla z(1,1)= (-6+2-18)\hat{i}+(2-8+28)\hat{j}=(-6+2-18)\hat{i}+(2-8+28)\hat{j}=-22\hat{i}+22\hat{j} ##

Crake said:
The ##∇z## will give you a vector ...

So, the gradient of Z at a point is a vector pointing in the direction of the steepest slope.

Thanks. I calculated the gradient. I'm not sure what to do next.

I found ## |\nabla z(1,1)|= 22 \sqrt{2} ##. So, by the dot product, the angle this vector makes with the x-axis is given by ## cos \theta = \frac{\nabla z(1,1) \cdot \hat{x}}{|\nabla z(1,1)| \cdot |\hat{x}|} = \frac{-22}{22\sqrt{2} \cdot 1 }= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \Rightarrow \theta = 135°##.

I think I messed up somewhere because my text is saying correct answer is ## \theta = -45°##.

Last edited:
wifi said:
I think I messed up somewhere because my is saying correct answer is ## \theta = -45°##.

Hum.. Perhaps your initial function lacks a minus somewhere?

Well, the steepest ascent is also associated with the steepest descent... just the opposite direction (180° turn).

gneil, I understand what you mean, but in that case shouldn't -45° & 135° both be acceptable answers?

wifi said:
gneil, I understand what you mean, but in that case shouldn't -45° & 135° both be acceptable answers?

Yes, I would think so.

Related to Find the direction in which slope is the steepest

1. What is slope and why is it important?

Slope is a measure of the steepness of a line or a surface. It is important because it helps us understand the rate of change or the steepness of a particular direction, which can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and geography.

2. How do you find the direction in which slope is the steepest?

To find the direction of the steepest slope, you need to calculate the gradient or the change in y over the change in x. The direction of the steepest slope is perpendicular to the contour lines and is indicated by the direction in which the contour lines get closer together.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative slope?

A positive slope indicates that the line or surface is increasing from left to right or from bottom to top. On the other hand, a negative slope indicates that the line or surface is decreasing in that direction. In other words, positive slope means going up, and negative slope means going down.

4. Can slope be infinite?

Yes, slope can be infinite. This happens when the change in x is zero, meaning that the line is vertical. A vertical line has no defined slope because it does not have a change in y over a change in x. In this case, the slope is considered to be undefined or infinite.

5. How is slope related to the concept of rise over run?

The concept of rise over run is the same as the formula for calculating slope, which is the change in y over the change in x. The "rise" refers to the vertical change, or the change in y, while the "run" refers to the horizontal change, or the change in x. Therefore, slope and the concept of rise over run are closely related.