Find the direction of the induced current

In summary, the question involves two solenoids, one smaller and one bigger, with parallel axes and a current flowing in the clockwise direction in the bigger solenoid. As the current increases, the direction of the induced current in the smaller solenoid can be determined using Lenz's Law and the right-hand rule for solenoids. The direction of the magnetic field on the smaller solenoid moving upward is downward, and the current flows in the counter-clockwise direction. The direction of the magnetic force can only be horizontal, which may cause confusion, but the right-hand rule for solenoids still applies.
bsmm11

Homework Statement

There are two solenoids with their axes parallel, one with a smaller diameter so that it fits inside the other. If the bigger solenoid has a current flowing in the clockwise direction (looked at from above) and the current is increasing in magnitude, find the direction of the induced current in the smaller solenoid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, increasing current leads to increasing flux linkage. Then I tried to think that this situation is the same as a smaller solenoid moving upward (●) into the bigger solenoid. Using the right hand grip rule the direction of the magnetic field on the smaller solenoid moving upward is downward (x). (from here I guessed) Since the Lenz's rule is rightly applied, the top of the smaller solenoid is North pole - the current flows in the counter-clockwise.

Well, I got the right answer but I'm not sure about my explanation (especially the guessed part). Could you check my answer?

EDIT: I forgot a very very important question.. The direction I showed are the direction of the magnetic field. But if the direction of the magnetic field is upward or downward, the magnetic(?) force can only be horizontal. That makes things go wrong since the force must be applied upward or downward in this question. I'm getting so confused. What is the right direction of the magnetic field and magnetic force?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check out Lenz's Law and the right-hand rule for solenoids.

Related to Find the direction of the induced current

1. What is "induced current"?

"Induced current" refers to the flow of electric charge that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of the induced current determined?

The direction of the induced current is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

3. What factors affect the direction of the induced current?

The direction of the induced current is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the orientation and shape of the conductor.

4. How is the direction of the induced current used in practical applications?

The direction of the induced current is used in various applications such as generators, motors, and transformers to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa.

5. Can the direction of the induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the induced current can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or by changing the orientation of the conductor with respect to the magnetic field.

Back