Find the distance between and object and its image

• Thread starter caitg
  • Start date
  • Tags
It is helpful to know that the magnification of a converging lens is positive and greater than 1 when the image is real and inverted. In summary, the object and image formed by a 72.4 cm focal length converging lens will be approximately 85.9 cm apart if the image is 2.54x larger than the object and is real.
caitg

Homework Statement

How far apart are an object and an image formed by a 72.4 cm focal length converging lens if the image is 2.54x larger than the object and is real?
(in cm)

Homework Equations

m=-(di/do)

m=f/(f-do)

(1/di)+(1/do)=(1/f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried manipulating these equations to find the distance, but either I don't come up with a reasonable value or I end up with too many variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi caitg, welcome to PF.
Would you please show your work in detail?

ehild

caitg said:

Homework Statement

How far apart are an object and an image formed by a 72.4 cm focal length converging lens if the image is 2.54x larger than the object and is real?
(in cm)

Homework Equations

m=-(di/do)

m=f/(f-do)

(1/di)+(1/do)=(1/f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried manipulating these equations to find the distance, but either I don't come up with a reasonable value or I end up with too many variables.

A simple ray trace will give you some guidance.

Related to Find the distance between and object and its image

What is the concept of finding the distance between an object and its image?

The distance between an object and its image refers to the distance between the actual physical object and its reflected or projected image. This can be measured in various units such as meters, centimeters, or feet.

Why is it important to find the distance between an object and its image?

Knowing the distance between an object and its image is crucial in understanding the properties of light and how it interacts with objects. It also helps in accurately determining the size, shape, and position of objects in relation to their images.

What is the relationship between the distance of an object and its image?

The distance between an object and its image is directly proportional to the distance of the object from the reflecting or refracting surface. This means that as the distance of the object increases, the distance between the object and its image also increases.

How do you calculate the distance between an object and its image?

The distance between an object and its image can be calculated using the mirror or lens equation, depending on the type of reflecting or refracting surface involved. This equation takes into account the focal length of the surface and the distance of the object and its image from the surface.

What factors can affect the distance between an object and its image?

The distance between an object and its image can be affected by the type of reflecting or refracting surface, the distance of the object from the surface, and the angle of incidence of light on the surface. Other factors such as the shape, size, and properties of the object and the surface can also play a role.