Find the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope.

In summary, the problem involves a block being projected up a frictionless inclined plane with initial speed of 3.50 m/s and an angle of incline of 32.0°. The questions asked are: (a) How far up the plane does the block go? (b) How long does it take to get there? (c) What is its speed when it gets back to the bottom? Using kinematic equations, the solutions are: (a) The block goes 1.18 m up the plane. (b) It takes 0.674 seconds to reach that point. (c) The speed when the block reaches the bottom is the same as the initial speed, which is 3.50
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"A block is projected up a frictionless inclined plane with initial speed v0 = 3.50 m/s. The angle of incline is θ = 32.0°. (a) How far up the plane does the block go? (b) How long does it take to get there? (c) What is its speed when it gets back to the bottom?"

Homework Equations

Fg = mg⋅sinθ
Fx = -Fg
Assume: arbitrary mass of block is 1-kg

The Attempt at a Solution

(b) Fg = (1kg)(9.8m/s2)(sin (-32°)) = -5.1932N
5.1932N = (1kg)(3.5m/s)/t
t = (3.5 kg⋅m/s)/5.1932N = 0.674 s

I've only figured out how to find the time it takes for the block to reach that point on the slope before it slips back down. The book says its speed when it gets back to the bottom is 3.50 m/s; same as the initial velocity. I have a vague idea how to solve for how far the block goes. Basically, I figure that once v0 = 0, it has reached the maximum point it can reach at the initial velocity at 3.50 m/s before it comes down due to gravity, anyway. At that point, gravitational force and the force pushing the box should be equal. But I have no idea how I would apply this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need mass here. Just use basic kinematical equations. You have initial velocity, acceleration and final velocity. Which kinematical eauation connects these three?

It's not in my book, but I think it's: "d = v0t + ½at2"? Okay, I've just done it...

d = (3.5 m/s)(0.674 s) + ½[(0 m/s - 3.5 m/s)/(0.674 s - 0 s)](0.674 s)2
= (2.359 m) + ½(-5.1932 m/s2)(0.674 s)2
= 2.359 m - 1.180 m = 1.18 m

Now why is the velocity as the block slides down the same as the initial velocity, can I ask?

Right. I expected v2=v02+2ad, without involving time parameter. But since time is also asked, your method is right.
Eclair_de_XII said:
Now why is the velocity as the block slides down the same as the initial velocity, can I ask?
The block starts sliding down from rest i.e. v0=0. You need to use the exact same equation to get final velocity now(part c).

To plug in acceleration, though, I would need the final velocity, which is the whole point of the equation, no?

Eclair_de_XII said:
To plug in acceleration, though, I would need the final velocity, which is the whole point of the equation, no?
You are asked to find the final velocity. You do have acceleration. What is pulling the block and making it slide downward?

cnh1995 said:
What is pulling the block and making it slide downward?

Oh, gravity.
a = sin(-32°)(9.8 m/s2) = -5.1932 m/s2
v2 = v02+2ad
= (0)2 + 2(|-5.1932| m/s2)(1.18 m)
v2 = (12.26 m2/s2)
√v2 = √(12.26 m2/s2)
v = 3.5 m/s

Additionally, how would I go about making my equations look something like: https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/9/1/f9160e375f1f6fc949a99985fb1e6a72.png? I've seen it done, and I want to know if there's a guide that tells me how to do that.

No, I meant the font styling. How do I change it?

Eclair_de_XII said:
No, I meant the font styling. How do I change it?
Oh:-p! I thought you wanted to derive kinematical equations using calculus.. I am not sure but it's LaTex. You'll find the LaTex/BBcode guide under the editor space here (below "have something to add?" space).

Related to Find the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope.

1. How is the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope calculated?

The distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope can be calculated using the formula: distance = force * distance * cos(angle). This formula takes into account the force applied to the block, the distance the block is pushed, and the angle of the slope.

2. What are the factors that affect the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope?

The distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope is affected by the force applied to the block, the distance it is pushed, the angle of the slope, and the mass of the block. Other factors that can affect the distance include friction, air resistance, and the surface of the slope.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect the distance traveled by a block?

The angle of the slope plays a significant role in determining the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope. The steeper the slope, the less distance the block will travel due to the increased force required to push it up the slope. A smaller angle will result in a longer distance traveled.

4. Can the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope be increased?

Yes, the distance traveled by a block pushed up a slope can be increased by increasing the force applied to the block, decreasing the angle of the slope, or reducing friction. However, there will be a maximum distance that can be achieved based on the initial conditions and the mass of the block.

5. How does the mass of the block affect the distance traveled up a slope?

The mass of the block has a direct impact on the distance traveled up a slope. A heavier block will require more force to be pushed up the slope and will therefore travel a shorter distance. A lighter block will require less force and can travel a longer distance. However, the mass is not the only factor that affects the distance traveled and must be considered in conjunction with other variables.

Back