Find the distance x using Coulomb's law.

In summary: So, could you tell me what steps you took to get the answer?In summary, there are three charges q1, q2, and q3 with q1=1.67x10^-10 C and q2=9.13x10^-6 C. The distance between q1 and q2 is 2 meters. Using Coulomb's law and a quadratic equation, the distance x between q1 and q3 can be found by setting the net force on q3 equal to 0 and solving for x. After some simplification, the final equation is x = 2/(sqrt(q2/q1) + 1), which results in a very small value for x.
bllnsr

Homework Statement

There are 3 charges q1,q2 & q3. Charge q1 is 1.67x10^-10 C and charge q2 is 9.13x10^-6 C. There is no net force on charge q3. x is the distance between q1 and q3 & (2-x) is the distance between q3 and q2. Distance between charge q1 and q2 is 2 meters. Find the distance x.

figure: -

2v0lgcx.png

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law.
Quadratic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting a very weird quadratic equation and i don't even know that if I am solving it right. Any help would be good. I just want to know the steps to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation you get and how do you get it?

Look at the size of the charges q1 and q3. Which of these do you think the charge q2 will be located closer to at equilibrium? Do you think that q2 will be very, very, very close to q1 or q3?

I solved it like this:-

[itex]Fq_3q_1 - Fq_3q_2 = 0[/itex]

[itex]Kq_3q_1/x^2 - Kq_3q_2/(2-x)^2 = 0[/itex]

[itex]Kq_3[/itex] is common and will become zero.

By putting values and further solving it I get quadratic equation.

My answer is [itex]x = -3.9914[/itex] & [itex]x = -4.0086[/itex]

[tex]
q_1x^2 = q_2(2 - x)^2
\\ \frac {q_1} {q_2} = \frac {(2 - x)^2} {x^2}
\\ \frac {q_1} {q_2} = (\frac {2} {x} - 1)^2
\\ \sqrt {\frac {q_1} {q_2}} = \frac {2} {x} - 1
[/tex] Note that the positive sign was selected in front of the radical. This is because the problem requires that [itex]\frac {2} {x} - 1 > 0[/itex].

@voko, how did you write the equation?

I do not know how to use LaTex on physics forums. I tried using $<code>$ but it does not seem to work well.

Click the "quote" button on my message, and you will see the code.

@voko your solution gives 1.99(2) answer and if I put 2 in equation :-

[itex]x+2-x = 2[/itex]

x = 2 verifies it so it means the answer is correct right?

Last edited:
Well, [itex]x + 2 - x = 2[/itex] is true for any x, so I don't see how that can verify anything. I am not even sure how you get that expression in the first place. x = .5 would mean that [tex]\sqrt{\frac {q_1} {q_2}} = \frac 2 {0.5} - 1 = 3[/tex] which is not true, because [tex]\sqrt{\frac {q_1} {q_2}} = \sqrt{\frac {1.67\cdot 10^{-10} C} {9.13 \cdot 10^{-6} C} }= \sqrt {1.83 \cdot 10^{-5} } = 4.28 \cdot 10^{-3}[/tex]

Oh yes it is true for any value of x my mistake

voko said:
[tex]
q_1x^2 = q_2(2 - x)^2
\\ \frac {q_1} {q_2} = \frac {(2 - x)^2} {x^2}
\\ \frac {q_1} {q_2} = (\frac {2} {x} - 1)^2
\\ \sqrt {\frac {q_1} {q_2}} = \frac {2} {x} - 1
[/tex] Note that the positive sign was selected in front of the radical. This is because the problem requires that [itex]\frac {2} {x} - 1 > 0[/itex].

It looks like you made a bit of an algebra error. The x2 and the (x-2)2 should be in the denominator. As I noted in my earlier reply, q3 is going to be very close to one of the other charges. If q3 is positive, because of the large ratio of q2/q1, q3 will be very close to x = 0, and x can be neglected relative to the 2 in the term (x-2). This greatly simplifies solving for x.

Chestermiller said:
It looks like you made a bit of an algebra error.
Indeed.

Last edited:
Blast. I just realized that I mistyped the original equation. It should have been [tex]
\frac {q_1} {x^2} = \frac {q_2} {(2 - x)^2}
[/tex] which then gives [tex]
\frac {(2 - x)^2} {x^2} = \frac {q_2} {q_1}
\\ \frac {2} {x} - 1 = \sqrt {\frac {q_2} {q_1}}
\\ x = \frac {2} {\sqrt {\frac {q_2} {q_1}} + 1}
[/tex] which indeed confirms that x should be very small.

@voko x is [itex]8.517*10^{-3}[/itex]

That's what I get as well. Sorry for the initial confusion.

FAQ: Find the distance x using Coulomb's law.

1. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's law used to find the distance x?

To find the distance x using Coulomb's law, you need to know the charges of the two particles and the magnitude of the electrostatic force between them. By rearranging the equation F = k*q1*q2/x^2, you can solve for x and find the distance between the two particles.

3. What is the value of the constant k in Coulomb's law?

The constant k in Coulomb's law is known as the Coulomb's constant and has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. It is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism and is used to calculate the strength of the electrostatic force between two charges.

4. Can Coulomb's law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The only difference is that the force between two like charges (positive and positive or negative and negative) will be repulsive, while the force between two unlike charges (positive and negative) will be attractive.

5. Is Coulomb's law an accurate representation of electrostatic forces?

Yes, Coulomb's law is an accurate representation of electrostatic forces in most situations. However, it is important to note that it only applies to stationary charges and does not take into account the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics at very small scales.