Find the domain of arccsc(e^2x)

In summary, the homework equation is f(x)=arccsc(e2x) and the domain of the function is (-∞, -1] U [1, ∞). The Attempt at a Solution is to find the range of values x such that e2x falls in [1,+∞].
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!
Seems I have forgotten how to work with such values. Please, help me to find the correct approach to this type of exercises.

Homework Equations

The task is to find the domain of the function:
f(x) = arccsc(e2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book is [0, ∞).

The domain of arccsc(x) is (-∞, -1] U [1, ∞)

(1) In the given function x is an exponent of epsilon, and also it has coefficient 2. So, I see that I need to divide by 2.

(2) So, if x = -1, then the exponent will be -½, and thus it would mean that I need to take "a negative square root" of e. This means that I have to discard this option, and thus discard all negative values, and concentrate only on [1, ∞) part.

(3) If x = 1, then exponent will be ½, meaning I need to take the square root of e.

I don't see my next steps. Logically it does look as if all values starting from 0 and till ∞ are correct, because all can be e's exponent, but how to get there mathematically?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vital said:
x is an exponent of epsilon
Euler's constant is e, not epsilon
Vital said:
if x = -1, then the exponent will be -½
Try that again.

For this question, it might be simpler to think in terms of what values of x produce a disallowed argument to arccsc, i.e. (-1,1).

e2x is always positive. Therefore, its range is (0,+∞). However, as you figured out, arccsc(x) does not accept (0,1) as input.
What you need to find is the range of the values x such that e2x falls in [1,+∞) because if not, then arccsc(e2x) is not defined.

Can you solve the inequality e2x ≥ 1?

haruspex said:
Euler's constant is e, not epsilon

Try that again.

Do I understand you correctly that -½ is not the right approach here? I divided by 2 following "graph transformation" rule, which state that we divide x by its coefficient.
For example:
The graph y = x
If I want to graph y = 2x, then I can divide all values of x in y = x by 2 to get the desired graph.

Vital said:
Do I understand you correctly that -½ is not the right approach here? I divided by 2 following "graph transformation" rule, which state that we divide x by its coefficient.
For example:
The graph y = x
If I want to graph y = 2x, then I can divide all values of x in y = x by 2 to get the desired graph.
You have e2x. If x=1, what is the exponent on e?

Anyway, I think this is already headed in the wrong direction. You have f(x)=arccsc(y) where y=e2x. You have established that the range for y is (-∞, -1] U [1, ∞). If those are values of e2x, how do you find the values of 2x?

carpenoctem said:
e2x is always positive. Therefore, its range is (0,+∞). However, as you figured out, arccsc(x) does not accept (0,1) as input.
What you need to find is the range of the values x such that e2x falls in [1,+∞) because if not, then arccsc(e2x) is not defined.

Can you solve the inequality e2x ≥ 1?
I see ) Thank you very much.
Yes, I can solve e2x ≥ 1
I set e2x = 1
then x = ln(1)/2 = 0
I see that I tried to tread a wrong path.

haruspex said:
You have e2x. If x=1, what is the exponent on e?

Anyway, I think this is already headed in the wrong direction. You have f(x)=arccsc(y) where y=e2x. You have established that the range for y is (-∞, -1] U [1, ∞). If those are values of e2x, how do you find the values of 2x?
Yes, I see that I indeed took a completely wrong direction - I unnecessarily complicated the matter. I have posted the result of required computation.
Thank you very much!

Vital said:
Yes, I see that I indeed took a completely wrong direction - I unnecessarily complicated the matter. I have posted the result of required computation.
Thank you very much!
Ok.

FAQ: Find the domain of arccsc(e^2x)

1. What is the domain of arccsc(e^2x)?

The domain of arccsc(e^2x) is all real numbers except for values that make the argument of the function, e^2x, equal to 0.

2. Can the domain of arccsc(e^2x) have negative values?

Yes, the domain of arccsc(e^2x) can have negative values as long as the argument, e^2x, is not equal to 0.

3. How can I find the domain of arccsc(e^2x)?

To find the domain of arccsc(e^2x), you need to solve the inequality e^2x ≠ 0. This can be done by taking the natural logarithm of both sides and solving for x.

4. Can the domain of arccsc(e^2x) have complex numbers?

No, the domain of arccsc(e^2x) is limited to real numbers only. Complex numbers are not part of the domain.

5. What happens if the argument of arccsc(e^2x) is equal to 0?

If the argument, e^2x, is equal to 0, then the function is undefined and has no domain.