Find the domain of the function

In summary: If the numerator is > 0, then the denominator must also be > 0. If the numerator is < 0, then the denominator must also be < 0. If the numerator and denominator are both < 0, then the function is undefined. In summary, if the numerator is > 0 and the denominator is > 0, the domain is the set of all real numbers except for those that are negative; if the numerator is < 0 and the denominator is < 0, the domain is the set of all real numbers except for those that are positive; if the numerator and denominator are both < 0, the function is undefined.
says

Homework Statement

Find domain of f(x, y) = ln ((x2+2x+y2) / (x2−2x+y2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the function is a natural ln, the restriction on the function is that everything inside the brackets has to >0, otherwise the function is undefined.

I worked on the problem for a while but wasn't getting anywhere so i plugged the equation into wolfram and got the domain { (x,y) ∈ R2 | 4x2 < (x2 + y2)2}

I'm not sure how to get there though...

[(x2+2x+y2) / (x2−2x+y2)] > 0

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Because the function is a natural ln, the restriction on the function is that everything inside the brackets has to >0, otherwise the function is undefined.

I worked on the problem for a while but wasn't getting anywhere so i plugged the equation into wolfram and got the domain { (x,y) ∈ R2 | 4x2 < (x2 + y2)2}

Because of the natural log, ##\frac{x^2 + 2x + y^2}{x^2 - 2x + y^2}## has to be positive, but you're forgetting that there is a restriction on the denominator.

says said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

First, note that for a fixed ##y## you have two quadratics in ##x##. Perhaps start by analysing those quadratics.

says said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So, if ##(x^2+2x+y^2)/(x^2-2x+y^2)>0##, then the numerator and denominator must both be > 0 or both be < 0. It might help to look at those two cases separately.

Related to Find the domain of the function

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for the function. It is the set of values that the independent variable (usually denoted as x) can take on.

2. How do you find the domain of a function?

To find the domain of a function, you need to identify any values that the independent variable cannot take on. This can include restrictions due to the function's definition or limitations on the type of values that the independent variable can have. Once you have identified these restrictions, the remaining values will make up the domain of the function.

3. Are there any common restrictions on the domain of a function?

Yes, there are a few common restrictions on the domain of a function. These include the following:

• Radical functions cannot have a negative number inside the square root.
  • Fractions cannot have a denominator of zero.
  • Logarithmic functions cannot have a negative or zero value inside the logarithm.

4. Can a function have an infinite domain?

Yes, a function can have an infinite domain. This means that there is no limit to the possible values that the independent variable can take on. For example, the domain of the function y = x is infinite because the independent variable x can take on any real number.

5. Why is it important to find the domain of a function?

Finding the domain of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential issues or limitations. It also allows us to properly evaluate and graph the function, as well as determine if it has an inverse function.