Find the electric field at a point in 3 dimensional space

tellmesomething
Homework Statement
3 semi infinite rods are placed along x, y and z axis such that the points on them obey x > 0,y>0 and z>0 and their common end is origin. Find Electric field at (R,R,R)
Relevant Equations
None
I tried resolving the semi infinite rods into arcs of 90 degree each placed on the three axes but that doesnt take me anywhere....
Alternatively I tried finding out the field at the point due to each rod but im unable to find the perpendicular distance from the point to the rod...I dont think such a distance exists..I know I should use integration but im having a hard time doing anything in 3d. Can someone give me a starter ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tellmesomething said:
I dont think such a distance exists.
Sure it exists. Consider the rods as three mutually perpendicular Cartesian axes. The point (R,R,R) is described by vector ##\mathbf R=R~\mathbf {\hat x}+R~\mathbf {\hat y}+R~\mathbf {\hat z}.## What is the perpendicular distance to, say, the rod along the x-axis?

kuruman said:
The

Sure it exists. Consider the rods as three mutually perpendicular Cartesian axes. The point (R,R,R) is described by vector ##\mathbf R=R~\mathbf {\hat x}+R~\mathbf {\hat y}+R~\mathbf {\hat z}.## What is the perpendicular distance to, say, the rod along the x-axis?
For it to be perpendicular to the x axis from the point, it would have to be parallel to either the y or the z axis no?

tellmesomething said:
For it to be perpendicular to the x axis from the point, it would have to be parallel to either the y or the z axis no?
Why? If you have a single x-axis in 3D space can you not always draw a perpendicular to it from any point in space? You can do that first and then add the y and z axes in a plane perpendicular to the x-axis any way you please.

I suggest that you first make a good drawing of how one gets to (R, R, R) from the origin in Cartesian coordinates. Then do some trig.

kuruman said:
Why? If you have a single x-axis in 3D space can you not always draw a perpendicular to it from any point in space? You can do that first and then add the y and z axes in a plane perpendicular to the x-axis any way you please.

I suggest that you first make a good drawing of how one gets to (R, R, R) from the origin in Cartesian coordinates. Then do some trig.
Okay so it took a while but I did do this I found out the perpendicular distance from x axis to be R√2. Now im having trouble integrating since I am unaware what to put in for the lower limit, the upper limit is 90 but the lower limit ends up being an unknown..s

tellmesomething said:
Okay so it took a while but I did do this I found out the perpendicular distance from x axis to be R√2. Now im having trouble integrating since I am unaware what to put in for the lower limit, the upper limit is 90 but the lower limit ends up being an unknown..s
The ##R\sqrt{2}## answer is correct. If you want additional help with your integral, please provide the drawing on which you based it plus the expression of the integral itself. I cannot read your mind and I won't even try.

kuruman said:
The ##R\sqrt{2}## answer is correct. If you want additional help with your integral, please provide the drawing on which you based it plus the expression of the integral itself. I cannot read your mind and I won't even try.
Screenshot_2024-05-14-23-00-55-139_com.google.android.gm.jpg

tellmesomething said:
I think ill type it out too its not very clear please wait for some time

kuruman said:
$$ R√2 tan \theta = x $$
$$ \frac {dx} {d\theta} = R√2 sec²\theta $$
$$ dE = \frac { \lambda R √2 sec²\theta d\theta} { 4 π \epsilon ( \frac { R√2} {cos \theta} )^2 } $$
$$ \int dE cos \theta = \int_\phi^{(-π/2)} \frac {\lambda d\theta cos \theta } { 4π \epsilon R√2} $$
$$ E_{vert} = \frac { - \lambda } { 4 π \epsilon R√2} ( 1 + sin \phi) $$
$$ E_{hori}= \frac {\lambda cos \phi } { 4π\epsilon R √2} $$

Last edited:
tellmesomething said:
$$ R√2 tan \theta = x $$
$$ dE = \frac { \lambda R √2 sec²\theta d\theta} { 4 π \epsilon ( \frac { R√2} {cos \theta} )^2 } $$
$$ \int dE cos \theta = \int_\phi^{(-π/2)} \frac {\lambda d\theta cos \theta } { 4π \epsilon R√2} $$
Screenshot_2024-05-14-23-32-41-836_com.miui.gallery.jpg

The angle between the perpendicular line and the line joining the point to the origin is ## \phi ##

tellmesomething said:
The angle between the perpendicular line and the line joining the point to the origin is
So ##\cos(\phi)## and ##\sin(\phi)## are… ?

Also keep in mind that the component you call ##E_{hori}## is along the x-axis, however component ##E_{vert}##, although perpendicular to the ##x##- axis, is not parallel to either ##y## or ##z##. You need to be careful about how you add the contributions from the other two wires. Alternatively, you can use a symmetry argument.

haruspex said:
So ##\cos(\phi)## and ##\sin(\phi)## are… ?
Right the former is ## \frac {√2} { √3} ## and the latter becomes ## \frac {1} {√3} ##

kuruman said:
Also keep in mind that the component you call ##E_{hori}## is along the x-axis, however component ##E_{vert}##, although perpendicular to the ##x##- axis, is not parallel to either ##y## or ##z##. You need to be careful about how you add the contributions from the other two wires. Alternatively, you can use a symmetry argument.
How did you figure out the horizontal component is parallel to the x axis ?

kuruman said:
I was thinking of finding the magnitude of net E from the two components and doing the same for the other axes and since the net E from the three axes must be mutually perpendicular(?) I am gonna use that to find the total E....doe this sound wrong??

tellmesomething said:
the net E from the three axes must be mutually perpendicular
For each axis, there is an E component normal to that axis and one parallel to it.
The parallel three will be normal to each other, but what about the first three? Is the line x=y, z=0 normal to x=z, y=0?
Even if both triplets were to consist of three orthogonal vectors, would that prove the three resultants are mutually orthogonal?

haruspex said:
For each axis, there is an E component normal to that axis and one parallel to it.
The parallel three will be normal to each other, but what about the first three? Is the line x=y, z=0 normal to x=z, y=0?
Even if both triplets were to consist of three orthogonal vectors, would that prove the three resultants are mutually orthogonal?
Oh. That makes sense. Though I dont understand how you concluded that one component will be parallel to the axis, is it something you're immediately able to see? Or did you like make a diagram cause its not obvious to me yet

tellmesomething said:
Oh. That makes sense. Though I dont understand how you concluded that one component will be parallel to the axis, is it something you're immediately able to see? Or did you like make a diagram cause its not obvious to me yet
The field at a point due to a given wire will lie in a plane containing that wire. It can therefore be decomposed into a component parallel to the wire and a component, in that plane, normal to the wire.
It's not that one component will necessarily be parallel to the wire, it’s that it can be decomposed so that one is.

haruspex said:
It's not that one component will necessarily be parallel to the wire, it’s that it can be decomposed so that one is.
I didnt get this can you elaborate? To me both of these sound like the same thing

haruspex said:
Also what method do you suggest then to find the total field due to all the three rods at point (R,R,R)..?

tellmesomething said:
Also what method do you suggest then to find the total field due to all the three rods at point (R,R,R)..?
In post #10 you found two components that add to make the field due to one wire. Suppose that is the wire along the x axis. What are those two components written in terms of ##\hat x, \hat y, \hat z##?

haruspex said:
In post #10 you found two components that add to make the field due to one wire. Suppose that is the wire along the x axis. What are those two components written in terms of ##\hat x, \hat y, \hat z##?
OK. I can try but i'll definitely take a lot of time..

tellmesomething said:
OK. I can try but i'll definitely take a lot of time..
It's quite straightforward. One of them contributes only to ##E_x##, while the other contributes to ##E_y## and ##E_z##.

haruspex said:
It's quite straightforward. One of them contributes only to ##E_x##, while the other contributes to ##E_y## and ##E_z##.
Sorry for the late reply I keep trying then giving up. I have some questions for a normal 3D vector I figured out:
Screenshot_2024-05-15-17-35-36-183_com.miui.gallery.jpg

The magnitude of the components are the cosine of the angle the vector makes with the axis times the magnitude of the resultant. Thats ok

But for a vector like this which starts from the middle of the axis and goes till a point in space
Screenshot_2024-05-15-17-36-16-644_com.miui.gallery.jpg

How do I resolve this? I understand this is a sum of two vectors so do I find those two vectors and their components...?

I understand that you're trying to stress on the fact that its quite easy to figure it out but im having a hard time convincing myself so imt trying to prove everything... Sorry

tellmesomething said:
How did you figure out the horizontal component is parallel to the x axis ?
I looked at your drawing in post #10. The plane of the screen is the same as the plane of the triangle formed by the wire (along the x-axis), side ##R\sqrt{2}## and side ##R\sqrt{3}##. The "horizontal" direction, unit vector ##\mathbf {\hat h}##, is along the x-axis and the "vertical" direction, unit vector ##\mathbf {\hat v}##, is along side ##R\sqrt{2}##. So the contribution from the wire along the x-axis is $$\mathbf{E}_1=E_{hori}~\mathbf {\hat h}+E_{vert}~\mathbf {\hat v}.$$
Tri-wire.png
Now look at the drawing on the right. P is the point of interest (3,3,3). The plane of the red triangle is parallel to the ##yz-##plane at distance ##R##. Clearly ##\mathbf {\hat h}=\mathbf {\hat x}##. Can you write ## \mathbf {\hat v}## as a linear combination of unit vectors ##\mathbf {\hat y}## and ##\mathbf {\hat z}##? If yes, then a cyclic permutation of the axes should give you the contributions from the other two wires. There is also a symmetry argument that allows you to find the direction of the resultant field without adding any vectors. Can you formulate it?

Last edited:
tellmesomething said:
The negative sign bothers me. For positive ##\lambda## the vertical component ##E_{vert}~\mathbf{\hat v}## must point away from the wire in the direction of ##~\mathbf{\hat v}##. The negative sign implies "towards the wire."

kuruman said:
I looked at your drawing in post #10. The plane of the screen is the same as the plane of the triangle formed by the wire (along the x-axis), side ##R\sqrt{2}## and side ##R\sqrt{3}##. The "horizontal" direction, unit vector ##\mathbf {\hat h}##, is along the x-axis and the "vertical" direction, unit vector ##\mathbf {\hat v}##, is along side ##R\sqrt{2}##. So the contribution from the wire along the x-axis is $$\mathbf{E}_1=E_{hori}~\mathbf {\hat h}+E_{vert}~\mathbf {\hat v}.$$ View attachment 345295Now look at the drawing on the right. P is the point of interest (3,3,3). The plane of the red triangle is parallel to the ##yz-##plane at distance ##R##. Clearly ##\mathbf {\hat h}=\mathbf {\hat x}##. Can you write ## \mathbf {\hat v}## as a linear combination of unit vectors ##\mathbf {\hat y}## and ##\mathbf {\hat z}##? If yes, then a cyclic permutation of the axes should give you the contributions from the other two wires. There is also a symmetry argument that allows you to find the direction of the resultant field without adding any vectors. Can you formulate it?
It all makes sense. All I needed to do was use technology to make a diagram the diagrams on my 2 dimensional notebook page made it more confusing. If you can please let me know what you used to create this diagram... I thought of paint 3d..I have the angle from the diagram and the components but im sure I am not wise enough to find the symmetry argument so ill not look that way. About post 26 im sure its a mathematical error I'll fix that asap. Thanks a ton

tellmesomething said:
It all makes sense. All I needed to do was use technology to make a diagram the diagrams on my 2 dimensional notebook page made it more confusing. If you can please let me know what you used to create this diagram... I thought of paint 3d..I have the angle from the diagram and the components but im sure I am not wise enough to find the symmetry argument so ill not look that way. About post 26 im sure its a mathematical error I'll fix that asap. Thanks a ton
Not a wise comment sorry its pretty evident its just a 2d diagram..I just need to be clear in my work

kuruman said:
The negative sign bothers me. For positive ##\lambda## the vertical component ##E_{vert}~\mathbf{\hat v}## must point away from the wire in the direction of ##~\mathbf{\hat v}##. The negative sign implies "towards the wire."
Okay so I did this again... Im getting the same expression which is definitely wrong..I know this is not a check my work site and Youve already helped me directly by literally drawing me a diagram but can you check the integration and give me a hint as to where i went wrong..?

tellmesomething said:
Okay so I did this again... Im getting the same expression which is definitely wrong..I know this is not a check my work site and Youve already helped me directly by literally drawing me a diagram but can you check the integration and give me a hint as to where i went wrong..?
Im my opinion the E sin theta component is also wrong since its positive but if you analyse the sum of the components along the x axis should point in the negative x direction..

tellmesomething said:
... but can you check the integration and point out where its wrong..?
I can, but only if you set up the integrals referring to a decent diagram which I have provided below. This, as most of the diagrams I create to post on PF, are made with PowerPoint.

Tri-wire_2.png

kuruman said:
I can, but only if you set up the integrals referring to a decent diagram which I have provided below. This, as most of the diagrams I create to post on PF, are made with PowerPoint.

View attachment 345309
Following this
$$ R√2 tan \theta = x $$

$$ r= \frac { R√2} {cos \theta} $$

$$ E_{vert} =\frac { -\lambda } {4 π \epsilon R√6} (√3 + 1) $$

$$ E_{hori} =\frac {\lambda} { 4 π \epsilon R√3} $$

tellmesomething said:
Following this
$$ R√2 tan \theta = x $$
Please let me know if you're seeing this executed ....im only seeing the tex commands at my end

tellmesomething said:
Following this
$$ R√2 tan \theta = x $$

IMG_20240516_003839.jpg

This is what it should be showing incase it didnt get execute for you too..

@tellmesomething I have lightly edited your LaTeX to make it render (you should use fewer carriage returns to avoid excess whitespace):
$$R√2 tan \theta = x$$$$\frac {dx} {d\theta} = R√2 sec²\theta$$$$r= \frac { R√2} {cos \theta}$$$$dE = \frac { \lambda R √2 sec²\theta d\theta} { 4 π \epsilon ( \frac { R√2} {cos \theta} )^2 }$$$$\int dE cos \theta = \int_\phi^{(-π/2)} \frac {\lambda d\theta cos \theta } { 4π \epsilon R√2}$$$$E_{vert} = \frac { - \lambda } { 4 π \epsilon R√2} ( 1 + sin \phi) $$$$E_{hori}= \frac {\lambda cos \phi } { 4π\epsilon R √2}$$$$E_{vert} =\frac { -\lambda } {4 π \epsilon R√6} (√3 + 1)$$$$E_{hori} =\frac {\lambda} { 4 π \epsilon R√3}$$

Likes kuruman and tellmesomething