Find the equilbrium temperature

• Thread starter WeiLoong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equilibrium temperature at two junctions, X-Y and Y-Z, with known thermal conductivities of the materials (2k, k, 4k). The participants discuss using the formula ##H=\frac{\Delta T}{R}## to calculate the temperature difference and then using that to find the equilibrium temperatures at the two junctions. One participant makes a mistake in their calculations, but it is later corrected. The conversation ends with a request for help in understanding how to use the formula.
WeiLoong

Homework Statement

The thermal conductivites of the materials are 2k,k,4k respectively. Find the equilibrium temperature at X-Y Y-Zhttps://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11950919_10204794824222021_851218095_n.jpg?oh=c15562066e063b2b164fbe7255d7d5d2&oe=55E9175C

Homework Equations

Thermal Conduction

The Attempt at a Solution

https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t34.0-12/11992166_10204794929704658_463646175_n.jpg?oh=b21361a78faa1427bd9de5c2a4d57a5c&oe=55EA2FB8
I am not sure whether i get it correct or not

Physics news on Phys.org
[Deleted]

Last edited:
Check your math!

insightful said:
Check your math!
Hahaa i found my mistake it should be Qa/5 :D

Titan97 said:
Take temperature at X-Y junction = Ta and temperature at Y-Z junction as Tb.
As you already know, the temperature difference ##\Delta T=\frac{l}{kA}##
With this, you can find Ta and Tb.
I have no idea how to use this equation, Can you show me Ta using this formula? :D

I am sorry. I meant ##R=\frac{l}{kA}##. R is the resistance. Then use ##H=\frac{\Delta T}{R}##. Its the same thing as you have done. I was in a hurry.

Related to Find the equilbrium temperature

1. What is equilibrium temperature?

Equilibrium temperature refers to the temperature at which a system or object is in a state of thermal balance, where the amount of heat entering the system is equal to the amount of heat leaving the system.

2. How is equilibrium temperature calculated?

The equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity of the object, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature?

The factors that can affect the equilibrium temperature include the heat capacity of the object, the rate at which heat is transferred, the surrounding temperature, and the presence of any external sources of heat or cold.

4. Why is equilibrium temperature important in scientific research?

Equilibrium temperature is important in scientific research because it helps to understand how heat is transferred and distributed within a system. It also allows for the prediction and control of temperature changes in various environments or experiments.

5. How can equilibrium temperature be applied in real-life scenarios?

Equilibrium temperature has practical applications in various fields such as meteorology, engineering, and medicine. It is used to design heating and cooling systems, study climate change, and determine the appropriate temperature for medical treatments, among others.