Find the exact length of the curve

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact length of a curve using a given formula and limits. The formula is simplified using algebra and the final step is to integrate the simplified formula to find the exact length. The person initially struggles with the algebra but eventually realizes their mistake and thanks the expert for their help.
shamieh
A little bit confused.

Find the exact length of the curve

\(\displaystyle y = \frac{1}{4}x^2 - \frac{1}{2}\ln x\)

\(\displaystyle 1 \le x \le 2\)

Using the formula: \(\displaystyle y = \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^2} \, dx\)

I obtained this:

\(\displaystyle \int ^2_1 \sqrt{ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{x^2}{4} + \frac{1}{4x^2}}\)

Now my problem is I'm stuck. If I bring the \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) out I will have a \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\) which won't really do me any good. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, shamieh!

Find the exact length of the curve.

\(\displaystyle y \:=\: \tfrac{1}{4}x^2 - \tfrac{1}{2}\ln x,\;1 \le x \le 2\)

Using the formula: .\(\displaystyle y \:=\: \sqrt{1 + (\tfrac{dy}{dx})^2} \, dx\)

I obtained this: \(\displaystyle \int ^2_1 \sqrt{\tfrac{1}{2} + \tfrac{x^2}{4} + \tfrac{1}{4x^2}}\)

You're doing great!

Note that: .[tex]\tfrac{x^2}{4} + \tfrac{1}{2} + \tfrac{1}{4x^2} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{4}\left(x^2 + 2 + \tfrac{1}{x^2}\right) [/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{4}\,\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right)^2 [/tex]

Then: .[tex]\sqrt{\tfrac{1}{4}\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right)^2} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{2}\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right) [/tex]And so you have: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}\int^2_1\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right)\,dx[/tex]

soroban said:
Hello, shamieh!

Note that: .[tex]\tfrac{x^2}{4} + \tfrac{1}{2} + \tfrac{1}{4x^2} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{4}\left(x^2 + 2 + \tfrac{1}{x^2}\right) [/tex]

. . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{4}\,\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right)^2 [/tex]

Then: .[tex]\sqrt{\tfrac{1}{4}\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right)^2} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{2}\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right) [/tex]And so you have: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}\int^2_1\left(x + \tfrac{1}{x}\right)\,dx[/tex]

Thanks, I see what you're saying but I'm confused on the algebra. Here is what I am getting, maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong.

Ok, here is what I am getting now:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4} (2 + x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2})\)

Oh WOW I'm an idiot. Stared at my paper for 40 minutes trying to figure out how you factored out a 1/4 before I realized that 1/4 * 2/1. Thank you so much for your help Sororban!

Last edited:
Oh I see now.

Last edited:

Related to Find the exact length of the curve

What is the purpose of finding the exact length of a curve?

The purpose of finding the exact length of a curve is to accurately measure the distance along a curved path. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What information do I need to find the exact length of a curve?

To find the exact length of a curve, you will need the function or equation that describes the curve, the start and end points of the curve, and the method or formula for calculating the length.

What methods can be used to find the exact length of a curve?

There are several methods that can be used to find the exact length of a curve, including the arc length formula, the Pythagorean theorem, and numerical integration. The most appropriate method will depend on the complexity of the curve and the level of accuracy required.

How accurate can the measurement of the exact length of a curve be?

The accuracy of the measurement will depend on several factors, such as the method used, the precision of the calculations, and the accuracy of the input data. With careful calculations and accurate data, the measurement can be very precise.

Can the exact length of a curve be found for any type of curve?

In theory, yes, the exact length of any curve can be found. However, for some curves, the calculations may be extremely complex and difficult to perform accurately. In these cases, approximations may be used instead.