Find the flux through a surface S (Electromagnetic Theory)

Also, your units are off.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the flux of an electric field through a circular surface and using Mathematica to plot field lines for different charge configurations. The equation for flux is mentioned as well as the need to understand the field of a point charge and the definition of flux. The speaker also mentions their lack of experience using Mathematica and their initial confusion with the problem.
jajay504

Homework Statement

A point charge q1 is located on the y-axis at r1= a (Y_hat) and another q2 located at the mirror point r2= -a (Y_hat). The charges are not necessarily the same sign or magnitude. Now consider the circular surface S of radius a contained in the x-z plane through the origin. Take the normal vector to this surface to point along the positive y-axis.

a.) Find the flux of the electric field through S.
b.) Use Mathematica to plot the field lines in the y-z plane through the origin for the following three cases: q2=-10q1, q2=q1, and q2=10q1.

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to start this problem or how to plug it into mathematica

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some effort at trying to solve the problem yourself before receiving help. This is pretty basic stuff. What's the field of a point charge? What's the definition of flux?

Flux= EA cos(theta)= E.A
I got flux = q/4e0

I don't have experience using mathematica at all

vela said:
You need to show some effort at trying to solve the problem yourself before receiving help. This is pretty basic stuff. What's the field of a point charge? What's the definition of flux?

Sorry for that. This one. I think I may have over thought it a bit.

jajay504 said:
Flux= EA cos(theta)= E.A
That only works for a constant electric field.
I got flux = q/4e0
How did you get this? What's q? The original problem has q1 and q2.

FAQ: Find the flux through a surface S (Electromagnetic Theory)

1. What is the definition of flux through a surface?

The flux through a surface is a measure of the amount of a vector field that passes through that surface. In other words, it is the amount of flow of a vector field through the surface.

2. How do you calculate the flux through a surface?

The flux through a surface can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the surface's normal vector, and then integrating this dot product over the entire surface.

3. What is the significance of finding the flux through a surface in electromagnetic theory?

In electromagnetic theory, finding the flux through a surface is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of electric or magnetic field passing through that surface. This is useful in understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with different materials.

4. Can the flux through a surface be negative?

Yes, the flux through a surface can be negative. This typically occurs when the surface is oriented in a direction opposite to the direction of the vector field. It simply means that the flow of the vector field through the surface is in the opposite direction.

5. Are there any practical applications of finding the flux through a surface?

Yes, there are many practical applications of finding the flux through a surface. One example is in the calculation of electric and magnetic field strengths in different materials, which is essential in designing electronic devices. It is also used in predicting the behavior of fluid flow in pipes and in studying the movement of air or water around objects.

Back