Find the Force and centre of pressure using double integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving setting up a double integral and finding the center of pressure. The equations used are P = (y + 60)/10 and depth (D) = y + 60. The attempt at a solution involves rearranging the double integral into polar coordinate format and finding the total force. The approach to finding the center of pressure is similar to finding the center of mass, treating P = (y + 60)/10 as the mass in a center of mass question.
coolusername

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66269&stc=1&d=1391481187

The questions are on the link above.

Homework Equations

P = (y + 60)/10
depth (D) = y + 60

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I set up the double integral:
Force (F) = ∫(0 -> 2∏)∫(0 -> 1) [(y+60)/10]dA
I then rearrange the double integral into polar coordinate format.
∫(0 -> 2∏)∫(0 -> 1) [(rsinθ+60)/10]rdrdθ
F = 6∏

I don't know if this is correct or if I'm approaching this problem correctly.
I pictured this as x being the surface of the sea and anything below the x is positive y.
So I was wondering if I did this correctly.

b) I don't know how to approach this question as usually the mass equation, in this case the force equation, contributes to finding the centre of force. They are asking for center of pressure. How can I come up with an equation for each x and y component of pressure when I only have force?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.31.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 9.31.09 PM.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,007
Physics news on Phys.org
coolusername said:

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66269&stc=1&d=1391481187

The questions are on the link above.

Homework Equations

P = (y + 60)/10
depth (D) = y + 60

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I set up the double integral:
Force (F) = ∫(0 -> 2∏)∫(0 -> 1) [(y+60)/10]dA
I then rearrange the double integral into polar coordinate format.
∫(0 -> 2∏)∫(0 -> 1) [(rsinθ+60)/10]rdrdθ
F = 6∏

I don't know if this is correct or if I'm approaching this problem correctly.
I pictured this as x being the surface of the sea and anything below the x is positive y.
So I was wondering if I did this correctly.

b) I don't know how to approach this question as usually the mass equation, in this case the force equation, contributes to finding the centre of force. They are asking for center of pressure. How can I come up with an equation for each x and y component of pressure when I only have force?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks

The integral for total force looks ok. I think you would do 'center of pressure' just like 'center of mass'. Just treat P=(y + 60)/10 as though it were the mass in a center of mass question.

Related to Find the Force and centre of pressure using double integrals

1. What is the concept of "Find the Force and centre of pressure using double integrals"?

"Find the Force and centre of pressure using double integrals" is a method used in fluid mechanics to determine the total force and point of application of that force on a surface submerged in a fluid. This method involves using mathematical equations and integration techniques to calculate the force and pressure distribution on the surface.

2. Why is it important to find the force and centre of pressure in fluid mechanics?

Knowing the force and centre of pressure on a surface is crucial in designing structures that can withstand the forces exerted by fluids. This information is also used in the design of ships, airplanes, and other structures that are submerged or move through fluids.

3. How do double integrals help in finding the force and centre of pressure?

Double integrals are used to calculate the total force by breaking down the surface into small elements, determining the pressure on each element, and then integrating these pressures over the entire surface. This method is more accurate than other methods as it takes into account the varying pressure distribution on the surface.

4. What factors affect the force and centre of pressure on a surface in a fluid?

The force and centre of pressure on a surface in a fluid are affected by the shape of the surface, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the speed and direction of the fluid flow. These factors can change the pressure distribution on the surface, affecting the total force and point of application.

5. What are some practical applications of "Find the Force and centre of pressure using double integrals"?

Some practical applications of this method include designing efficient hydrofoils for boats, analyzing the aerodynamics of aircraft wings, and determining the stability of underwater structures. It is also used in the design of hydroelectric dams and other structures that interact with fluids.