Find the Fourier series of a 'broken' function which is periodic in 2L

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series for the function f(x), which is an odd function that is periodic in 2L. The general formula for the Fourier series is provided and it is mentioned that all the a_n terms must be 0 since the function is odd. The conversation then goes on to discuss finding the b_n terms using a formula and integrating to find a solution. The value of L is also discussed and a solution is provided for the Fourier series. It is also mentioned that the angular frequency and period have a relationship of ω = 2π/T. The conversation ends with a plot of the series using the first ten terms and the use of Mathematica for calculations.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

Sketch the function:

[itex]f(x) = \begin{Bmatrix} \frac{-x}{a} & 0 \leq x \leq a \\ \frac{x-L}{L-a} & a \leq x \leq L[/itex]

where f(x) is an odd function and is periodic in 2L.
And a is a constant less than L/2

Find the Fourier series for the function f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a rough sketch of the function, its not perfect but good enough to get the general idea. We can see that the function is odd and Discontinuous at f(a) and f(a+L)

the general formula for the Fourier series is:

[itex] \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) + b_n sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)[/itex]

we are told that the function is odd, hence all the a_n terms must be 0.

so the Fourier series is in the form:

[itex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})[/itex]

to find the b_n terms use the formula:

[itex]b_n = \frac{1}{2L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) dx[/itex]

odd function * odd function = even function, so:

[itex]b_n = \frac{1}{L} \int_0^L f(x) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) dx[/itex]

so.. do i then split this up into 2 separate integrals:

[itex]b_n = \frac{1}{L}\left[ \int_0^a \left(\frac{-x}{a}\right) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) dx + \int_a^L \left(\frac{x-L}{L-a}\right) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})\right][/itex]

am i able to do this?

the thing that is confusing me the most is wether i am using the right values for L (ie, not sure wether its supposed to be 1/L , 2/L , 1/2L etc)

I followed this through and ended up with a horrible expression containing terms in:

[itex] sin\left(\frac{n \pi a}{L}\right)[/itex]

and

[itex] cos\left(\frac{n \pi a}{L}\right)[/itex]

thanks

Attachments

• Sketch.png
    Sketch.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far.

The period T is 2L, so the angular frequency is ω = 2π/T = 2π/2L = π/L. The argument of the sines and cosines is nωx, which is equal to what you have.

I've worked the integrals through and ended up with the solution:

[itex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{-2L^2}{an^2 \pi^2 (L-a)} sin\left(\frac{n \pi a}{L}\right) sin\left(\frac{n \pi x}{L}\right) [/itex]

I'm not sure if this is right. I've never seen any examples where the sin and cos terms havn't become 0 or (-1)^n.

Also, I have never seen that way of finding the factor outside the integration

[itex] \omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/itex]

does that work every time? just use T = period.

Looks good. Here's a plot of your series using the first ten terms with L=1 and a=0.2.

Attachments

• fourier.png
    fourier.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 439
looks right then, thanks. How did you make that curve? Matlab, or Mathematica or something? You just reminded me that i need to get a copy of one of them :)

knowlewj01 said:
Also, I have never seen that way of finding the factor outside the integration

[itex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/itex]

does that work every time? just use T = period.
Yes, this relationship between the angular frequency and period always holds.
knowlewj01 said:
looks right then, thanks. How did you make that curve? Matlab, or Mathematica or something? You just reminded me that i need to get a copy of one of them :)
I used Mathematica.

Thanks for Your help

Related to Find the Fourier series of a 'broken' function which is periodic in 2L

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to decompose a complex function into simpler trigonometric functions.

2. What does it mean for a function to be 'broken'?

A 'broken' function is a function that is discontinuous at certain points. This means that there are gaps or jumps in the graph of the function, making it non-smooth.

3. What does it mean for a function to be periodic in 2L?

A function is periodic in 2L if it repeats itself every 2L units along the x-axis. This means that the function has a repeating pattern every 2L units, and it can be extended infinitely in both directions.

4. How do you find the Fourier series of a 'broken' function?

To find the Fourier series of a 'broken' function, we first need to identify the intervals where the function is continuous. Then, we can use the Fourier series formula to find the coefficients for each interval. Finally, we combine the coefficients to get the complete Fourier series for the 'broken' function.

5. Why is it important to find the Fourier series of a 'broken' function?

Finding the Fourier series of a 'broken' function allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of the function. It also helps us to approximate the function and make predictions about its values at different points. Additionally, the Fourier series has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing.