Find the Friction (Rotational Problem)

• Thread starter proximaankit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: From that information, you can calculate the frictional force. But if you only have the final velocity, it's not very useful. You need information about how the velocity changed along the way.
proximaankit

Homework Statement

One afternoon, you are playing on a wooden basketball court with a hula‐hoop to amuse yourself. The hoop has a mass of 500g and a radius of 55 cm. After practicing a bit, you find that you can launch the hoop so that its plane is vertical, it isn’t rotating before it hits the floor, and it doesn’t bounce after hitting the floor. For these launch conditions, the hoop’s CM moves initially with a speed of 3 m/s along the floor. You notice that as the hoop slips along the floor it begins to rotate, and that just before it hits the far wall 20 m away from the launch point, it “catches” and begins to roll without slipping. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the hoop and the floor?

Homework Equations

τ=Iα=f*r where f is frictional force
f=μmg
f=ma
I = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried various method to solve for μ, but it ends up canceling itself. i.e.:
f*r=MR^2*(a/r)
a=f/M
f =f/M

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your reasoning.
Notice that the hoop slides for a while before it "catches" - what is happening in this part of the motion?
What is the condition for rolling without slipping?

proximaankit said:
τ=Iα=f*r where f is frictional force
f=μmg
f=ma
I = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried various method to solve for μ, but it ends up canceling itself. i.e.:
f*r=MR^2*(a/r)
a=f/M
f =f/M
It's rather hard to follow if you keep using the same symbol (f) to mean different things. Please define all your variables and name them uniquely.

Sorry for the confusion but here is what I was trying to do
At the bottom of the hoop, as the hoop starts to rotate, that must mean that friction is causing the rotation. In my free body diagram I had. friction to left of point of contact and Normal up and weight down. Friction acting on the object cause it rotate so it will have angular acceleration. Friction cause the hoop to have acceleration since it should be slowing down. so f (friction ) = ma. By torque eqn. τ=f*l=Iα=MR^2(a/r) -> which arrives to the same equation of f = ma. And from here I am lost.

proximaankit said:
Sorry for the confusion but here is what I was trying to do
At the bottom of the hoop, as the hoop starts to rotate, that must mean that friction is causing the rotation. In my free body diagram I had. friction to left of point of contact and Normal up and weight down. Friction acting on the object cause it rotate so it will have angular acceleration. Friction cause the hoop to have acceleration since it should be slowing down. so f (friction ) = ma. By torque eqn. τ=f*l=Iα=MR^2(a/r) -> which arrives to the same equation of f = ma. And from here I am lost.
You got the same equation because you assumed αr = a. But you can only be sure of that once it is rolling. So these equations are telling you something you didn't know, that αr = a holds even while it is slipping. But it might not be terribly useful.
Think about velocity. You are given the initial linear and rotational velocities, and a relationship between the final velocities.

Related to Find the Friction (Rotational Problem)

1. What is friction in a rotational problem?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In a rotational problem, it is the force that resists the rotation of an object and affects its speed and direction.

2. How do you calculate friction in a rotational problem?

The formula for calculating friction in a rotational problem is μ * N, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force exerted by the surface on the object. This formula can be used to find the magnitude and direction of the friction force.

3. What factors affect friction in a rotational problem?

The main factors that affect friction in a rotational problem are the type of surface, the mass and shape of the object, and the rotational velocity. The coefficient of friction also plays a significant role in determining the amount of friction in a given problem.

4. How does friction impact the motion of a rotating object?

Friction can either speed up or slow down the rotation of an object, depending on the direction of the force. It can also cause the object to change direction or stop completely if the friction force is strong enough to counteract the rotational motion.

5. How can friction be reduced in a rotational problem?

There are a few ways to reduce friction in a rotational problem, such as using lubricants, smoothing out surfaces, or changing the materials of the surfaces in contact. Additionally, reducing the weight or shape of the object can also help to decrease the amount of friction and improve rotational motion.