Find the function for this Taylor series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function that has a given Taylor series representation, using theorems and techniques such as the two power series theorem and manipulating the series to eliminate the constant s. It is suggested that the resulting function may be an exponential function or a hypergeometric function.
rman144
Find the function that has the following Taylor series representation:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_________{m=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{(m+s)^{-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]

Where s is a constant such that 0<Re(s)<1.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any reason to believe it is an elementary function?

Well the first thing to do would be to consider what a Taylor series itself looks like of a function f, assuming it has one;

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} f^m (0) \frac{x^m}{m!} [/tex] where f^m indicates the m-th derivative, not exponent.

So if we use the theorem that two power series are equal if and only iff their coefficients are identical, we get;

[tex]f^m (0) = \frac{1}{m+s} [/tex]

I have tried for a while at seeing what that tells us exactly, and my intution leads me to believe this derivatives look like something from an exponential function, so if I were you, I would now try letting [tex]f(x) = e^{g(x)}[/tex] and seeing what I can find out about g(x) .

EDIT: Whoops I didn't see Halls post.

FIRST ANSWER...
We can get a differential equation for this function, call it [tex]f(x)[/tex]. That denominator [tex]m+s[/tex] looks scary , let's get rid of it. Multiply by [tex]x^s[/tex] so that we have [tex]\sum x^{m+s}/((m+s)m!)[/tex], differentiate to get rid of the [tex]m+s[/tex]. Then multiply by [tex]x^{1-s}[/tex] and we end up with the series [tex]\sum x^m/m![/tex] which can be recognized as [tex]e^x[/tex]. So the result is...
[tex]sf \left( x \right) +x{\frac {d}{dx}}f \left( x \right) ={{\rm e}^{x}}[/tex]
Is this helpful? The solution is not elementary, so maybe or maybe not.

SECOND ANSWER...
This function is a hypergeometric function [tex]{{}_1\mathrm{F}_1(s;\,1+s;\,x)}[/tex], that's just the definition... Maple evaluates this in terms of the incomplete Gamma function, so we conclude it is:
[tex]s \left( -x \right) ^{-s}\int _{0}^{-x}\!{{\rm e}^{-t}}{t}^{s-1}{dt}[/tex]
at least for [tex]x < 0[/tex]

I think it is pretty clever to construct a differential equation like that. Well done.

Related to Find the function for this Taylor series

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor and is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to approximate functions.

2. How do you find the function for a given Taylor series?

To find the function for a given Taylor series, you can use the formula for the general term in the series and then manipulate it to match the given function. This involves taking derivatives and plugging in values for the variables in the series.

3. Why is finding the function for a Taylor series important?

Finding the function for a Taylor series is important because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler ones. This can be useful in solving mathematical problems and in applications such as physics and engineering.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the function for a Taylor series?

Some common techniques for finding the function for a Taylor series include using the Maclaurin series (a special case of the Taylor series), using the Taylor series for known functions like exponential or trigonometric functions, and using integration and differentiation rules.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the function for a Taylor series?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the function for a Taylor series. One limitation is that the function must be infinitely differentiable at the point where the series is centered. Additionally, the series may not converge for certain values of the variables, making it unreliable for those values.