Find the Function x(t) | Bug Climbing a 30-Foot Ladder Against a Wall

• Thread starter nowiz68710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, at time t, the bug is 2 feet away from the wall, and is moving up the ladder at a rate of 1.5 feet per minute.
nowiz68710
Problem: A 30-foot ladder rests vertically against a wall. A bug starts at the bottom of the ladder and climbs up at a rate of 3.5 feet per minute. At the same time, the foot of the ladder is being pulled along the ground at a rate of 1.5 feet per minute until the top of the ladder reaches the ground. Let x be the distance of the bug from the wall at time t.

Question: Find the function x(t). This function gives the horizontal distance of the bug to the wall as a function of time, t.

My lame attempt: okay so I know the ladder will always be 30 foot long so a^2 + b^2 = 30^2 assuming a is the distance pulled away from the wall and b is the distance from the top of the ladder to the ground. Now a starts at zero and b at 30 feet with the ladder resting against the wall and the bug at the bottom of the ladder. a will constantly be growing per minute at a rate of 1.5 feet. b is where I'm stuck, it will be shrinking not only that the top of the ladder is sliding down the wall but also that the bug is moving up the ladder creating a similar triangle inside but I am stuck Please help if you can. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi nowiz68710! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

hint: the bug is a certain proportion of the way along the line AB :wink:

A certain proportion? well let's see da/dt = 1.5 ft/min and dz/dt = 3.5 ft/min (z being distance from base of ladder to the bug) then a/30 = x/30-z so 1.5t/30 = x(t)/30-3.5t am I even close?

i'm not really following that :redface:

write A and B as vectors (pairs of coordinates), then work out how far along the line AB the bug is at time t …

that will give you the coordinates of the bug :smile:

You don't even need to calculate b in order to solve this problem!

Try drawing a right triangle where the hypotenuse is the ladder. This picture represents the ladder at some time t. You already know how to calculate the distance of the bottom of the ladder from the wall. What about some given point along the hypotenuse? For example, 2 feet up the ladder.

Using similar triangles, I think you'll find the answer.

Related to Find the Function x(t) | Bug Climbing a 30-Foot Ladder Against a Wall

1. What is a "very hard problem"?

A "very hard problem" is a term used to describe a problem that is extremely difficult to solve or understand. These problems can be found in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and physics.

2. How do scientists approach "very hard problems"?

Scientists approach "very hard problems" by using various methods such as experimentation, data analysis, and collaboration with other experts in the field. They also rely on critical thinking and creativity to find solutions to these complex problems.

3. Can "very hard problems" ever be solved?

While some "very hard problems" may seem impossible to solve, scientists believe that with dedication and persistence, a solution can be found. It may take years or even decades, but many "very hard problems" have been successfully solved in the past.

4. Are "very hard problems" important in scientific research?

Yes, "very hard problems" are crucial in scientific research as they often lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements. These problems push scientists to expand their knowledge and understanding of the world around us.

5. How can I help with "very hard problems" as a non-scientist?

As a non-scientist, you can help with "very hard problems" by staying informed about current research and developments, supporting scientific funding and education, and advocating for the importance of scientific research in society. Your support can contribute to the progress and success of solving these challenging problems.