Find the general solution of the given differential equation

In summary, to find the general solution of the given differential equation, we first divide through by 1+t^2 to write the ODE in standard linear form, and then compute the integrating factor, which turns out to be (t^2+1)^2. After applying this factor and making the appropriate transformation, the resulting ODE can be integrated to get the general solution of y = \frac{\arctan(t) + c}{(1+t^2)^2}.
shamieh
Find the general solution of the given differential equation..

\(\displaystyle (1+t^2)y' + 4ty = (1+t^2)^{-2}\)

I'm kind of confused here on what to do...

Do I want to do something like \(\displaystyle e ^{\int4t} dt\) and then multiply that through on both sides or do I need to do something different here..I'm not really sure how to approach this one so that's why I'm kind of beating around the bush if you will.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first divide through by \(\displaystyle 1+t^2\) to write the ODE in standard linear form, and observe that in doing so no trivial solutions are being lost:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{t}+\frac{4t}{t^2+1}y=\left(t^2+1\right)^{-3}\)

Next, compute your integrating factor:

\(\displaystyle \mu(t)=\exp\left(\int\frac{4t}{t^2+1}\,dt\right)\)

What do you get for this factor?

\(\displaystyle mew = 2\ln(t^2 + 1)\) correct?

Last edited:
shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle mew = 2ln(t^2 + 1)\) correct?

Not quite...and use the code \mu for the Greek letter $\mu$...you should get:

\(\displaystyle \mu(t)=\exp\left(2\ln\left(t^2+1\right)\right)=\exp\left(\ln\left(\left(t^2+1\right)^2\right)\right)=\left(t^2+1\right)^2\)

Now, applying this factor, what is your ODE? If we computed the factor correctly, the left side of the ODE will be the differentiation of a product...can you make this transformation?

so the left side will be \(\displaystyle (t^2+1)^2y \) correct?

shamieh said:
so the left side will be \(\displaystyle (t^2+1)^2y \) correct?

No, the left side will be:

\(\displaystyle \left(t^2+1\right)^2\d{y}{t}+4t\left(t^2+1\right)y=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\left(t^2+1\right)^2y\right)\)

Now your ODE is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(\left(t^2+1\right)^2y\right)=\frac{1}{t^2+1}\)

So just integrate both sides with respect to $t$...what do you get?

\(\displaystyle y = \frac{\arctan(t) + c}{(1+t^2)^2}\)

Last edited:
shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle y = \frac{arctan(t) + c}{(1+t^2)^2}\)

Correct! (Yes)

Another $\LaTeX$ tip:

Precede functions, like logarithms, trig functions and their inverses, and hyperbolic functions, etc with a backslash. This will prevent them from being italicized and emphasize that they are functions rather than a string of variables. :D

Thanks! Will do. Haven't been on the forum in some time and have forgotten LaTeX. I just started Calculus IV today and it's pretty interesting. I'll be on here for Discrete Mathematics help as well. Site looks awesome since I was last here btw.

shamieh said:
Thanks! Will do. Haven't been on the forum in some time and have forgotten LaTeX. I just started Calculus IV today and it's pretty interesting. I'll be on here for Discrete Mathematics help as well. Site looks awesome since I was last here btw.

Yes, we've been pretty busy making changes...server upgrade, PHP upgrade, vBulletin software upgrades, thanks system upgrade, and a bunch of styling changes...I am happy all of our work is noticeable. :D

FAQ: Find the general solution of the given differential equation

What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It includes all possible solutions to the equation and may contain arbitrary constants.

How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you need to integrate the equation by separating the variables and then solving for the dependent variable. You may also need to use initial conditions to determine the values of the arbitrary constants in the solution.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution of a differential equation?

A general solution is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable and may contain arbitrary constants. A particular solution is a specific function that satisfies the equation for given initial conditions.

Can a differential equation have multiple general solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple general solutions. This is because the general solution may contain arbitrary constants, and different choices for these constants can result in different functions that satisfy the equation.

What is the purpose of finding the general solution of a differential equation?

The general solution of a differential equation is useful for understanding the behavior of the system described by the equation. It allows us to see all possible solutions and how they are related. Additionally, it can be used to find particular solutions that satisfy given initial conditions.