Find The Height Of The Mountain

• Thread starter chikis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the angle of elevation of the peak P of a certain mountain can be measured using a simple measuring device at points X and Y on the same horizontal level. If X is known to be 5,200m above sea level, |XY| = 4,000m and the measurement of the angles of elevation of P at X and Y are 15° and 35° respectively, find the height of the mountain. (take tan 15° = 0.3 and tan 35° = 0.7)
chikis

Homework Statement

A simple measuring device is used at point X and Y on the same horizontal level to measure the angles of elevation of the peak P of a certain mountain. If X is known to be 5,200m above sea level, |XY| = 4,000m and the measurement of the angles of elevation of P at X and Y are 15¤ and 35¤ respectively, find the height of the mountain. (take tan 15¤ = 0.3 and tan 35¤ = 0.7)

Homework Equations

Tan¤ = opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a large triangle XPY which consist of two small triangles, XPO and POY.
The distance |XY| is 4000m. |XY| is above sea level of heigt 5,200m.
The height am required to calculate is the distance |OP|. Let |OP|= h.
We need to find the distance XO and OY respectively. Let XO = (4000-b) and OY = b. Considering triangle XPO, tan15 = h/(4000-b)
---> (4000-b)0.3 = h
1200-0.3b = h
b = 1200-h/0.3 ----->(1)
Considering triangle POY tan35¤ = h/b
h = btan35¤
---> h = 0.7b
b = h/0.7 ----->(2)
Equating equation 1 and 2, you will have:
1200-h/0.3 = h/0.7
840 - 0.7h = 0.3h
0.7h + 0.3h = 840m
h = 840m
the height of the mountian will now become 840m +5,200m
= 6040m
but my answer is not the same as the answer provided for the working. How do I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
chikis said:

Homework Statement

A simple measuring device is used at point X and Y on the same horizontal level to measure the angles of elevation of the peak P of a certain mountain. If X is known to be 5,200m above sea level, |XY| = 4,000m and the measurement of the angles of elevation of P at X and Y are 15¤ and 35¤ respectively, find the height of the mountain. (take tan 15¤ = 0.3 and tan 35¤ = 0.7)

Homework Equations

Tan¤ = opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

This doesn't make sense until you tell us what 'O' is. Is O the foot of the perpendicular from P to the line XY?

We need to find the distance XO and OY respectively. Let XO = (4000-b) and OY = b.
You have these backwards. Y is closer to the mountain that X is so XO is larger than OY. It should be XO= 4000+ b. And, just as a matter of clarity, you should define b in "b= OY" before using it in XO.

Considering triangle XPO, tan15 = h/(4000-b)
---> (4000-b)0.3 = h
You should have 4000+ b.

1200-0.3b = h
b = 1200-h/0.3 ----->(1)
Considering triangle POY tan35¤ = h/b
h = btan35¤
---> h = 0.7b
b = h/0.7 ----->(2)
Equating equation 1 and 2, you will have:
1200-h/0.3 = h/0.7
840 - 0.7h = 0.3h
0.7h + 0.3h = 840m
h = 840m
the height of the mountian will now become 840m +5,200m
= 6040m
but my answer is not the same as the answer provided for the working. How do I approach this problem?

HallsofIvy said:
This doesn't make sense until you tell us what 'O' is. Is O the foot of the perpendicular from P to the line XY?
Yes O is the foot of the pependicular from P and meets the line XY at O.
You have these backwards. Y is closer to the mountain that X is so XO is larger than OY.
But the questions says that X and Y are on the same horizontal level and that XY is 4000m, that makes the it difficult to understand between X and Y which is closer and which is farer.

chikis said:
But the questions says that X and Y are on the same horizontal level and that XY is 4000m, that makes the it difficult to understand between X and Y which is closer and which is farer.
In your original post:
chikis said:
A simple measuring device is used at point X and Y on the same horizontal level to measure the angles of elevation of the peak P of a certain mountain. If X is known to be 5,200m above sea level, |XY| = 4,000m and the measurement of the angles of elevation of P at X and Y are 15° and 35° respectively, find the height of the mountain. (take tan 15° = 0.3 and tan 35° = 0.7)

See bolded. Because the angle of elevation at Y is larger, Y is closer to O than X.

eumyang said:
In your original post:

See bolded. Because the angle of elevation at Y is larger, Y is closer to O than X.
So if the angle of elevation at Y is larger and Y is closer to O than X, what do I make of that?

Thanks guys, I have made good of your post.

Code:
P
      /|\
     /|   \
   /  |     \
  /   |       \
 /    |         \
/__ _| _  _  _ _\
X     O           Y
That's how my diagram looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
X and Y should be on the same side of the origin, (and the same side of the mountain). The diagram that you drew would not be useful to surveyors.

Point Y is closer to the mountain than point X, since the angle of elevation at Y is larger than the angle of elevation at X.

The idea is that the surveyors set up their equipment at point Y, determine the angle to the top of the mountain, and then move farther away. At point X, they get the new angle of elevation (which is smaller).

Last edited:
chikis said:
That's how my diagram looks like.

Mark44 said:
X and Y should be on the same side of the origin, (and the same side of the mountain). The diagram that you drew would not be useful to surveyors.
chikis, see attached diagram.
(Mods, I hope this is okay. He/she's tried to draw a diagram for us.)
Mark44 said:
The idea is that the surveyors set up their equipment at point Y, determine the angle to the top of the mountain, and then move farther away. At point Y, they get the new angle of elevation (which is smaller).
I think you mean point X. :wink:

Attachments

• Surveyor.png
    Surveyor.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 530
eumyang said:
IMO, it's fine.
eumyang said:
Right you are - I meant X.

Edit: I've gone back and fixed that error.

Last edited:
eumyang said:

But the question never said that X and Y are on the same side of the mountain. The question says that the angle of elevation of P at X is 15¤ and that the angle of elevation of P at Y is 35¤ and XY is 4000m which fits my diagram excatly.
With my diagram, if I use tan15 = h/(4000+b) tan35 = h/b, I will get 7300m as my final answer, but if use tan15 = h/(4000-b) and tan35 = h/b, I will get 6040m as the final answer. I think am actually confuse on how to get the distance XO and OY, is there any help I can get on that.

chikis said:
But the question never said that X and Y are on the same side of the mountain. The question says that the angle of elevation of P at X is 15¤ and that the angle of elevation of P at Y is 35¤ and XY is 4000m which fits my diagram excatly.
Read mark44's post (#8) again. If X and Y were to be on opposite sides of O, the problem would have mentioned that.

chikis said:
With my diagram, if I use tan15 = h/(4000+b) tan35 = h/b, I will get 7300m as my final answer...
With your diagram, that's impossible. You would end up with |XO| being longer than |XY|.

chikis said:
... but if use tan15 = h/(4000-b) and tan35 = h/b, I will get 6040m as the final answer. I think am actually confuse on how to get the distance XO and OY, is there any help I can get on that.
:confused: You said it yourself in the original post!
chikis said:
We need to find the distance XO and OY respectively. Let XO = (4000-b) and OY = b.

BTW, is 7,300m the answer that the book provided?

eumyang said:
BTW, is 7,300m the answer that the book provided?
No, the book provided 6400 as the final answer which I think is not correct.

chikis said:
No, the book provided 6400 as the final answer which I think is not correct.
It isn't. I'm getting 7,300 m as well (using tan 15° ≈ 0.3 and tan 35° ≈ 0.7). Must be a typo.

You must note that you will get 7,300m if only and only if X and Y are on same side of the mountain but if they at the opposite sides of the mountain as stated clearly in the question, then you will get 6040m which ever way you compute XO and OY. If you like take XO as tan15¤ = h/4000-b and tan35¤ = h/b or if you like take tan35¤ = h/4000-b and tan15¤ = h/b, you will still get 6040m.

chikis said:
You must note that you will get 7,300m if only and only if X and Y are on same side of the mountain but if they at the opposite sides of the mountain as stated clearly in the question...
Really? I'm looking at the original post...
chikis said:
A simple measuring device is used at point X and Y on the same horizontal level to measure the angles of elevation of the peak P of a certain mountain. If X is known to be 5,200m above sea level, |XY| = 4,000m and the measurement of the angles of elevation of P at X and Y are 15° and 35° respectively, find the height of the mountain. (take tan 15° = 0.3 and tan 35° = 0.7)
... and I don't see it stated clearly that X and Y are on opposite sides of the mountain.

Once more I ask you, did you read Mark44's post (#8, emphasis mine)?
Mark44 said:

Point Y is closer to the mountain than point X, since the angle of elevation at Y is larger than the angle of elevation at X.

The idea is that the surveyors set up their equipment at point Y, determine the angle to the top of the mountain, and then move farther away. At point X, they get the new angle of elevation (which is smaller).

Last edited by a moderator:
eumyang said:
Once more I ask you, did you read Mark44's post?
Yes I did, and let me ask as well, is Mark44 a surveyor or an engineer to know that surveyors set up their equipment at point Y, determine the angle to the top of the mountain, and then move farther away. At point Y, they get the new angle of elevation (which is smaller).
Assuming X and Y are at the opposite sides of the mountain and XY is 4000m, how do you compute XO and OY respectively?

chikis said:
Yes I did, and let me ask as well, is Mark44 a surveyor or an engineer to know that surveyors set up their equipment at point Y, determine the angle to the top of the mountain, and then move farther away. At point Y, they get the new angle of elevation (which is smaller).
Assuming X and Y are at the opposite sides of the mountain and XY is 4000m, how do you compute XO and OY respectively?

It does not matter whether Mark44 is an surveyor, or what. By lots of experience, he can say that if the points X and Y are taken on opposite sides of the mountain, the question would have said so (or else the person setting the question was sloppy). In fact, the question leaves open the positions of X and Y; P could be due North of X and Y could be NNE of X, but closer to P, so there are probably infinitely many "solutions" that fit the original description (depending on the angle XOY). Basically, it is an unstated assumption that we want the simplest possibility that would also be physically the simplest: measuring the distance |XY| by surveying requires X and Y to be on the same side of the mountain; otherwise, some much more involved operations would be needed to measure |XY| when X and Y are on opposite sides of the mountain and thus invisible to each other. Furthermore, the mathematically simplest situation is when X, Y and O are on the same straight line.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
It does not matter whether Mark44 is an surveyor, or what. By lots of experience, he can say that if the points X and Y are taken on opposite sides of the mountain, the question would have said so (or else the person setting the question was sloppy). In fact, the question leaves open the positions of X and Y; P could be due North of X and Y could be NNE of X, but closer to P, so there are probably infinitely many "solutions" that fit the original description (depending on the angle XOY). Basically, it is an unstated assumption that we want the simplest possibility that would also be physically the simplest: measuring the distance |XY| by surveying requires X and Y to be on the same side of the mountain; otherwise, some much more involved operations would be needed to measure |XY| when X and Y are on opposite sides of the mountain and thus invisible to each other. Furthermore, the mathematically simplest situation is when X, Y and O are on the same straight line.

RGV
Ok! Since the question did not state clearly the position of X and Y. We take it that they are two possible solutions, that for when X and Y are on same sides of the mountain, we have known, but what of when X and Y are at opposite sides of the mountain?

chikis said:
Ok! Since the question did not state clearly the position of X and Y. We take it that they are two possible solutions, that for when X and Y are on same sides of the mountain, we have known, but what of when X and Y are at opposite sides of the mountain?

Then you have a triangle XYP with interior angles of 15 degrees and 35 degrees given at X and Y, and you are given the length of the base XY. If h is the height (above the base) and |XO| = x, we have h/x = tan(15) and h/(4000-x) = tan(35). You can solve these two equations to get h and x.

RGV

chikis said:
This deserves a response. No, I am not a surveyor, but I have two degrees in mathematics, so I understand the mathematics that surveyors use. Ordinary common sense would dictate that the surveyor would set up his equipment as I described in my earlier post, NOT on opposite sides of the mountain.
chikis said:
This is a silly assumption to make. If X and Y are on opposite sides of the mountain, how would the surveyor determine that the points were 4000m apart? A direct measurement using a surveyor's chain would be impossible, because of the mountain being in the way.

The only reasonable interpretation here is that X and Y are on the same side of the mountain.

Ray Vickson said:
Then you have a triangle XYP with interior angles of 15 degrees and 35 degrees given at X and Y, and you are given the length of the base XY. If h is the height (above the base) and |XO| = x, we have h/x = tan(15) and h/(4000-x) = tan(35). You can solve these two equations to get h and x.

RGV
Thanks for that inteligent answer. Let me equally add:
If we take it that X and Y are at opposite sides of the mountain, then the figure I drew, will be more useful for the working. Working with my own figure, XY = 4000m, that I know and very sure because it has been stated already in the question. The distance XO and OY, we don't know, I just I just take it that XO could be = (4000-b) and OY could be = b, or OY = (4000-b) and XO = b. If you work with any of the assumption, you will still get (840m + 5200m) = 6040m as the heigt of the mountain.

Mark44 said:
This deserves a response. No, I am not a surveyor, but I have two degrees in mathematics, so I understand the mathematics that surveyors use. Ordinary common sense would dictate that the surveyor would set up his equipment as I described in my earlier post, NOT on opposite sides of the mountain.

This is a silly assumption to make. If X and Y are on opposite sides of the mountain, how would the surveyor determine that the points were 4000m apart? A direct measurement using a surveyor's chain would be impossible, because of the mountain being in the way.

The only reasonable interpretation here is that X and Y are on the same side of the mountain.
Mark44, don't be offended please, I only want to be sure of what am about to accept. Thanks!

Related to Find The Height Of The Mountain

1. How do you find the height of a mountain?

To find the height of a mountain, you can use various methods such as trigonometry, satellite imagery, or ground surveying. Trigonometry involves using the angle of elevation and the distance from the base of the mountain to calculate its height. Satellite imagery uses advanced technology to measure the elevation of the mountain. Ground surveying involves physically measuring the height using instruments such as a theodolite or altimeter.

2. What are the challenges of finding the height of a mountain?

Some of the challenges of finding the height of a mountain include difficult terrain, poor weather conditions, and lack of accurate data. The steep and rocky terrain of mountains makes it challenging to measure accurately. Poor weather conditions such as fog, snow, or rain can also make it difficult to take accurate measurements. Additionally, some mountains may not have been surveyed or measured before, making it hard to determine their height.

3. How accurate are the measurements of the height of a mountain?

The accuracy of the measurements of a mountain's height depends on the method used and the equipment used for measuring. Trigonometry and satellite imagery are considered more accurate than ground surveying. However, the accuracy can still vary depending on factors such as weather conditions, human error, and equipment limitations. Generally, the accuracy of the measurements can range from a few meters to a few centimeters.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the measurements?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the measurements of a mountain's height. Some of these factors include weather conditions, equipment limitations, terrain, and human error. For example, foggy or cloudy weather can affect the visibility needed for accurate measurements, and rocky terrain can make it challenging to take precise readings using ground surveying methods.

5. How has technology improved the process of finding the height of a mountain?

Technology has greatly improved the process of finding the height of a mountain. With advancements in satellite imagery and GIS (Geographic Information System) technology, it is now possible to get accurate measurements of a mountain's height from a distance. Additionally, advanced surveying equipment such as LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) and GPS (Global Positioning System) have made it easier and more accurate to measure the height of a mountain from the ground.