Find the initial total charge stored

In summary, initially, a 1.52 µF capacitor and a 2.63 µF capacitor are connected in parallel with 9.80 V across their plates. The total initial charge stored is 4.067e-5 C. When the wires are reversed on one capacitor, the total charge on the capacitors remains the same, but the individual charges on each capacitor are reversed. The final total charge stored is still 4.067e-5 C, but the charge on each capacitor is now -4.067e-5 C.
thst1003
Initially a 1.52 µF capacitor and a 2.63 µF capacitor are connected in parallel, with 9.80 V across their plates. The two capacitors are not connected to anything else. The connecting wires are then reversed on the terminals of one capacitor, so that the positive plate of each capacitor is connected to the negative plate of the other capacitor.

a) Find the initial total charge stored.
I solved for it as if it was in parallel. I got 4.067e-5 C. This is correct.

(b) Find the final total charge stored.
I attempted to solve using it in series but I could not get the correct answer.

(c) Find the loss of electrical potential energy.

C=AEoK/d Eo represents Permitivvity and K is Kappa's constant of dialectrics

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thst1003! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

if I'm understanding this correctly, you have charges +A and +B on the two connected plates on one side, and -A and -B on the other side

then you swap the wires so that +A and -B are connected (and -A and +B) …

so what happens to the charge? :wink:

Your 4.067E-5 number looks okay for the initial charge. You should also calculate the charge on the individual capacitors -- you'll need them later!

For part (b), one of the capacitors was inverted and reconnected. So if it had +++ charge on its top plate, and - - - on its bottom plate, that would now be reversed. What do you think will happen when the capacitors are connected in that orientation?

FAQ: Find the initial total charge stored

What is "Find the initial total charge stored"?

"Find the initial total charge stored" is a scientific term used to describe the process of determining the amount of electric charge present in a system at its initial state.

Why is it important to find the initial total charge stored?

It is important to find the initial total charge stored in a system because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the system, and to make accurate predictions about its future state.

How is the initial total charge stored calculated?

The initial total charge stored can be calculated using the equation Q = CV, where Q is the total charge stored, C is the capacitance of the system, and V is the voltage applied to the system.

What are some common methods used to find the initial total charge stored?

Some common methods used to find the initial total charge stored include using a multimeter to measure voltage and capacitance, using a charge sensor to directly measure the charge, and using mathematical calculations based on known properties of the system.

What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the initial total charge stored?

The accuracy of finding the initial total charge stored can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, variations in capacitive properties, and external interference from other electrical sources. It is important to carefully control and account for these factors to obtain accurate results.

Back