Find the kinetic friction coefficient

In summary, the pig slides down a ramp with an angle of 35 degrees with a friction coefficient of 0. If the friction coefficient were 0, the ride would only take half the time. However, because of the kinetic friction between the pig and ramp, the ride takes 1.87 seconds.
beborche

Homework Statement

A pig is sliding down a ramp that has an angle of 35 degrees from the horizontal plane. If the friction coefficient was 0 the ride would only take half the time. What is the kinetic friction coefficient between pig and ramp?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
v² = u² + 2as
a = [itex]\Delta[/itex]v/t
fk = ukN = ukmgsin[itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I wasn't given a length of the ramp, I decide it to be s=10 meters (the length shouldn't matter, I just use the value so I can perform calculations).
u = 0 m/s
s = 10 m
a = gsin[itex]\theta[/itex] = 5.62 m/s²
v = [itex]\sqrt{2as}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2*5.62*10}[/itex] = 10.6 m/s
t = (v-u)/a = 10.6/5.62 = 1.87 s
This is the time it takes without any friction. Now let's double this time, and find the acceleration. Then, through the expressions of the forces, solve for uk:

t = 3.74 s
u = 0 m/s
s = 10 m
v = s/t = 2.67 m/s
a = (v-u)/t = 0.71 m/s²

F = ma = mgsin[itex]\theta[/itex] - ukgcos[itex]\theta[/itex]
Rearrange and you'll get this
uk = [itex]\frac{a + gsin\theta}{gcos\theta}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{0.71 + 9.8sin(35)}{9.8cos(35)}[/itex] = 0.787

This answer isn't correct, but it's rather close (probably by coincidence). Anyhow, can anyone hint me in the right direction? Where am I going wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should use more decimal places in your intermediate results. Maybe three or four. This will guard against rounding errors creeping into 'sensitive' calculations. Also, you might want to use g = 9.807 m/s2 for gravity.

The formula that you arrived at for μk is not quite right; it produces a negative value. This is because the numerator should be negated.

Ah you're right. I see the mistake.

F = ma = mgsin[itex]\theta[/itex] - ukgcos[itex]\theta[/itex]
uk = [itex]\frac{a + gsin\theta}{gcos\theta}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{0.71 + 9.8sin(35)}{9.8cos(35)}[/itex] = 0.787

should be

F = ma = mgsin[itex]\theta[/itex] - ukmgcos[itex]\theta[/itex]
uk = [itex]\frac{a - gsin\theta}{-gcos\theta}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{0.71 - 9.8sin(35)}{-9.8cos(35)}[/itex] = 0.613

When I got 0.613 as my final answer I used 5+ decimals and I used 9.807 for g. This is closer to the correct answer, but I'm quite sure I won't pass with this answer.

The correct answer is 0.52
Any ideas?

I would change the approach to finding the acceleration for the friction case. Using an average velocity to find acceleration is not good.

Instead, go directly from the kinematic formula s = (1/2)at2. You're given t and s, so find a.

Thank you, I solved it!
Not by finding acceleration in the case of friction first, but thanks to you reminding me of that what I calculated was the average velocity. These two lines messed it up:
v = s/t = 2.67 m/s
a = (v-u)/t = 0.71 m/s²
Where it says (v-u), it should say 2*v. Since v = average velocity and u = 0, then 2*v is the change of velocity. And right we are! 0.52 is the answer.

Again thanks for your help! :-]

FAQ: Find the kinetic friction coefficient

1. What is the kinetic friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is represented by the symbol µk and is a unitless value between 0 and 1.

2. How is the kinetic friction coefficient calculated?

The kinetic friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed.

3. What factors affect the kinetic friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient can be affected by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. The coefficient can also vary depending on the speed and temperature of the surfaces.

4. How does the kinetic friction coefficient differ from the static friction coefficient?

The kinetic friction coefficient is lower than the static friction coefficient, as it measures the resistance between two surfaces in motion, while the static friction coefficient measures the resistance between two surfaces at rest.

5. Why is the kinetic friction coefficient important?

The kinetic friction coefficient is important in understanding the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion, and in predicting the motion of objects on different surfaces. It is also essential in designing and improving machines and equipment that involve moving parts.

Back