Find the Laurent Series for (z^2-4)/(z-1) with z_0=1 | Homework Solution

In summary, Laurent series for the function that converges at 0 < \left|z-z_0\right| < R can be found at ##1##.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

Find the Laurent series for the function that converges at [itex]0 < \left|z-z_0\right| < R[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1}[/itex]
[itex]z_0 = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is going to be a finite sum. I think it could be wrong, though, because it certainly differs with the answer in the book.

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{z-1}-\frac{4}{z-1}[/itex]

I tried to put the first part in terms of [itex]z-1[/itex]...

[itex]\frac{z^2}{z-1} = \frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} =[/itex]

[itex]\left( \frac{z-1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)\left(\frac{z-1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{z-1}\right) [/itex]

[itex] = \left(1+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)\left(1+\frac{1}{z-1}\right) = 1+\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}[/itex]

I recombined with the last term...

[itex]1+\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}-\frac{4}{z-1} = 1-\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}[/itex]

This is the final answer that I get. However, the book says that it is

[itex]-\frac{3}{z-1}+2+(z-1)[/itex]

I am absolutely stumped and I've been racking my brain over it for hours.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found the Laurent series at ##1##. I think they want you to find the Laurent series at ##0##.

micromass said:
You found the Laurent series at ##1##. I think they want you to find the Laurent series at ##0##.

They may have wanted me to find the Laurent series at 1. Sorry, I forgot to add to the problem...

[itex]z_0 = 1[/itex]

OK, so I'll take a closer look.

I see right away that this is not a correct thing to do:

TheFerruccio said:
[itex]\frac{z^2}{z-1} = \frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} =[/itex]

micromass said:
OK, so I'll take a closer look.

I see right away that this is not a correct thing to do:

I figured it was the algebra that was holding me back here. Is it because it creates a singularity at 1 or something? Why is this wrong? I do not see it.

[tex]\frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} = \frac{z}{z-1}\frac{z}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

This does not equal ##\frac{z^2}{z-1}##.

micromass said:
[tex]\frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} = \frac{z}{z-1}\frac{z}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

This does not equal ##\frac{z^2}{z-1}##.

Holy crap, oh geeze. That's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing that out. Let me try this again.

Alright, well, realizing that that technique is wrong has completely erased the paths that I see to solving this problem. Any hints as to an appropriate next step to take? I've gone the method of splitting [itex]z^2-4[/itex] into [itex](z-2)(z+2)[/itex] but I do not know how to go from there.

Try to write

[tex]\frac{z^2 - 4}{z-1} = \frac{(z-1)^2 + P(z)}{z-1}[/tex]

and try to find the polynomial ##P(z)##.

micromass said:
Try to write

[tex]\frac{z^2 - 4}{z-1} = \frac{(z-1)^2 + P(z)}{z-1}[/tex]

and try to find the polynomial ##P(z)##.

Oh, that's clever. Thanks for suggesting this method. This immediately gave me the path I needed to do.

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1} = \frac{\left(z-1\right)^2+P(z)}{z-1}=\frac{{(z-1)}^2+2z-5}{z-1} = \frac{{(z-1)}^2+2(z-1)-3}{z-1} = (z-1)+2-\frac{3}{z-1}[/itex] which is exactly what I was looking for. I will keep this technique in my toolbox. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

Oh, and it converges for all R > 0.

FAQ: Find the Laurent Series for (z^2-4)/(z-1) with z_0=1 | Homework Solution

What is a Laurent Series?

A Laurent Series is a mathematical representation of a complex function that is expanded as an infinite sum of terms. It is named after mathematician Pierre Alphonse Laurent.

What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Laurent Series?

A Taylor Series is a special case of a Laurent Series where all the terms have non-negative powers. Laurent Series, on the other hand, can have both positive and negative powers in its terms.

What is the purpose of using a Laurent Series?

Laurent Series are useful in solving problems in complex analysis, such as finding the singularities and residues of a function. They can also be used to approximate functions and evaluate integrals.

How do you find the coefficients of a Laurent Series?

The coefficients of a Laurent Series can be found by using the formula ck = 1/2πi ∫C f(z)(z-z0)-k-1 dz, where C is a contour around the point z0.

What are the applications of Laurent Series in real life?

Laurent Series have various applications in physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and analyze oscillations, electromagnetic fields, and stock market trends, among others.