Find the least/greatest distance from point to sphere

In summary: To find the shortest distance between (x, y, z) and (2, 1, -2), take the dot product of the vector with the gradient of f(x, y, z).
s3a

Homework Statement

Find the greatest and least distances from the point P(2,1,-2) to the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 using Lagrange Multipliers.

(The question had an = before the z^2 which was a typo and I think it should of been a + so just saying in case I made a wrong correction.)

Homework Equations

Partial differentiation.
Lagrange Multiplier equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried visualizing this geometrically and I see that it is a sphere centered at (0,0,0) with a radius of 1 and I need to find the shortest line from the point to the surface of the sphere so I was thinking of taking a vector <2,1,-2> and dotting it with the gradient of f(x,y,z) and finding x, y and z values such that the dot product is 0. I'm not entirely sure if this approach is good (please, tell me if it is or isn't since I'm curious) but I have to do it using Lagrange Multipliers so I'm left thinking: "What's the constraint explicitly?" I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what the greatest distance is as well. Is it the line from the point to an edge of the surface area of the sphere facing the point (which is a circle) such that we maximize the distance by making the line joining the point to the sphere be the hypotenuse of a triangle?

A push in the right direction or any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it the Lagrange multiplier way and then look back at your 'vector way'. Pick a point (x,y,z). The thing you want to minimize is the distance from P(2,1,-2) to (x,y,z). The constraint is that (x,y,z) has to lie on your surface.

Dick said:
Do it the Lagrange multiplier way and then look back at your 'vector way'. Pick a point (x,y,z). The thing you want to minimize is the distance from P(2,1,-2) to (x,y,z). The constraint is that (x,y,z) has to lie on your surface.

Equivalently, you want to minimize (or maximize) the distance^2, which will be a lot easier to work with.

RGV

I took into consideration what you both said but I'm still having trouble to actually start. Could you guys give me the first line of what I am supposed to do so that I can see it and continue myself?

s3a said:
I took into consideration what you both said but I'm still having trouble to actually start. Could you guys give me the first line of what I am supposed to do so that I can see it and continue myself?

Do you know the formula for the distance between (x,y,z) and (2,1,-2)?

RGV

It's been a long time since I used it but yes I do :)

d = sqrt[(x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2 + (z - z_0)^2]
d^2 = (x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2 + (z - z_0)^2

So if the point we're interested in is (2,1,-2) you want to minimize (x-2)2+(y-1)2+(z+2)2

s3a said:

Ok, so continue. You want to extremize d^2.

By the way, although the problem asks you to use Lagrange multipliers, as a check you can use the fact that the max and min distance points lie on the line through the point (2, 1, -2) and (0, 0, 0), the center of the given sphere. Put x= 2t, y= t, z= -2t into the equation of the sphere to find those points.

Alright, so am I on the right track now?

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,167
s3a said:
Alright, so am I on the right track now?

Yes, you've got the setup right.

Related to Find the least/greatest distance from point to sphere

1. What is the formula for finding the least/greatest distance from a point to a sphere?

The formula for finding the least/greatest distance from a point to a sphere is d = |r - √(r^2 - (d - R)^2)|, where d is the distance from the point to the center of the sphere, r is the radius of the sphere, and R is the distance from the point to the closest/farthest point on the surface of the sphere.

2. How do you determine whether the point is inside or outside the sphere?

If the distance from the point to the center of the sphere is less than the radius of the sphere, then the point is inside the sphere. If the distance is equal to the radius, then the point is on the surface of the sphere. If the distance is greater than the radius, then the point is outside the sphere.

3. Can the least/greatest distance from a point to a sphere be negative?

No, the least/greatest distance from a point to a sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value.

4. How does the position of the point relative to the sphere affect the least/greatest distance?

The position of the point relative to the sphere does not affect the least/greatest distance. The distance only depends on the radius of the sphere and the distance from the point to the center of the sphere.

5. Can the least/greatest distance from a point to a sphere be calculated in any coordinate system?

Yes, the least/greatest distance from a point to a sphere can be calculated in any coordinate system as long as the coordinates of the point and the center of the sphere are known.