Find the length of curve r=cos(theta)-sin(theta)

In summary: I will try that next time.Your given equation is not a parametric equation like ##\vec r(t)=\langle x(t),y(t)\rangle## so your arc length formula doesn't apply. It is a polar coordinate equation like ##r = f(\theta)##. Look up the formula for arc length for a polar coordinate equation.Thanks so much.
mill

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve r=cosΘ - sinΘ, 0≤Θ≤∏/4

Homework Equations

Arc length = ∫|v| dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found r'(θ), then used the arc length formula.

Arc length = ∫ sqrt (sin^2 Θ + cos^2 Θ) = ∫ dΘ

and integrated it to find ∫dΘ = ∏/4

The correct answer is however ∏/(2sqrt(2)). Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve r=cosΘ - sinΘ, 0≤Θ≤∏/4

Homework Equations

Arc length = ∫|v| dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found r'(θ), used the arc length formula, and integrated it to find ∫dΘ = ∏/4. The correct answer is however ∏/(2sqrt(2)). Where did I go wrong?

We can't guess unless you post your work.

I will guess that he is confusing a parametric (vector) equation of a curve with a polar coordinate equation of a curve.

LCKurtz said:
I will guess that he is confusing a parametric (vector) equation of a curve with a polar coordinate equation of a curve.

Could you possibly expand on this? I am not sure what you mean.

mill said:

There is quite a different formula for the length of a curve in polar coordinates. It is ##\displaystyle s = \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}\sqrt{r^2 + {(\frac{dr}{d\theta})}^2}d\theta.## When you apply some trig identities, the problem becomes very simple.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:

mill said:

Your given equation is not a parametric equation like ##\vec r(t)=\langle x(t),y(t)\rangle## so your arc length formula doesn't apply. It is a polar coordinate equation like ##r = f(\theta)##. Look up the formula for arc length for a polar coordinate equation.

Thanks so much. I didn't realize there was another formula.

Related to Find the length of curve r=cos(theta)-sin(theta)

1. What is the equation for the curve r=cos(theta)-sin(theta)?

The equation for the curve is r=cos(theta)-sin(theta). This is a polar coordinate equation, where r represents the distance from the origin and theta represents the angle.

2. How do you find the length of a curve?

To find the length of a curve, you can use the arc length formula: L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx. This formula calculates the length of a curve by integrating the square root of 1 plus the derivative of y with respect to x squared.

3. What does the curve r=cos(theta)-sin(theta) look like?

This curve is a cardioid, which is a heart-shaped curve. It is symmetric about the x-axis and has a cusp at the origin. It also has a loop at (1,0) and a point of inflection at (-1,0).

4. How do you calculate the arc length of r=cos(theta)-sin(theta) from 0 to 2π?

To calculate the arc length of r=cos(theta)-sin(theta) from 0 to 2π, you can plug in the limits of integration into the arc length formula: L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx from 0 to 2π. This will give you the total length of the curve from 0 to 2π.

5. Can the arc length of r=cos(theta)-sin(theta) be approximated?

Yes, the arc length of r=cos(theta)-sin(theta) can be approximated by using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods divide the curve into smaller sections and calculate the length of each section, then sum them up to get an approximation of the total arc length.