Find the length of the cycloid

• Thread starter eoghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the conversation is about finding the length of a cycloid using the given equations. The correct substitution for the integral is w=cost, not w=sint. The conversation ends with the problem being solved.
eoghan
Hi all!
I have to find the length of the cycloid given by:
x(t)=t-sint
y(t)=1-cost

I did so:
length=[tex]\int\sqrt{1-cos^2 t -2cost + sin^2 t}[/tex]dt from 0 to 2p
[tex]\sqrt{2}\int\sqrt{1-cos t}[/tex]dt from 0 to 2p
with the substitution w=cost I get:
length=[tex]2\sqrt{2}\int\frac{dw}{2\sqrt{1+w}}[/tex]dw from 1 to 1 (cos0=cos2p=1)
Here's the problem: any integral from 1 to 1 is 0! But the cycloid has length=8
Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean: [tex]s=\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+\cos^2 t-2\cos t + \sin^2 t}dt=\sqrt{2} \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{1- \cos t}dt[/tex]...

If so, there is a clear problem with your substitution:

[tex]w=\cos t \quad \Rightarrow dw=-\sin t dt[/tex]

But(!) [tex]\sin t \neq \sqrt{1-w^2}[/tex] since that would imply [itex]\sin t[/itex] was always positive for [itex]t \in [0,2\pi][/itex]...which is false...clearly when [itex]\sin t[/itex] is positive you will have [tex]\sin t =\sqrt{1-w^2}[/tex]; but when [itex]\sin t[/itex] is negative, you will have [tex]\sin t =-\sqrt{1-w^2}[/tex]...so when is [itex]\sin t[/itex] pos/neg?

I got it!
Thank you :smile:

Related to Find the length of the cycloid

What is a cycloid?

A cycloid is a curve that is traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls along a straight line. It is also known as a roulette curve.

What is the length of a cycloid?

The length of a cycloid is equal to 8 times the radius of the generating circle.

How do you find the length of a cycloid?

To find the length of a cycloid, you can use the formula L = 8r, where L is the length and r is the radius of the generating circle.

What is the significance of the cycloid?

The cycloid has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also a fundamental curve in the study of kinematics and rolling motion.

Can the length of a cycloid be calculated using calculus?

Yes, the length of a cycloid can be calculated using calculus by integrating the arc length formula for a curve. This method is more accurate for finding the length of a cycloid with a smaller radius.