Find the magnetic field of an infinite uniform surface

In summary, the z-component of B doesn't exist because the magnetic field beneath the plane of current travels in the opposite direction of the magnetic field above the plane.
BREAD

Homework Statement

234234-png.90190.png

This example is from 3rd edition of Griffiths' textbook. Ex. 5.8 on page 226
I understand that by reversing the direction of the current, sign of B is switched. but i can't get it that highlighted part. and why B doesn't have z-component?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
BREAD said:

Homework Statement

234234-png.90190.png

This example is from 3rd edition of Griffiths' textbook. Ex. 5.8 on page 226
I understand that by reversing the direction of the current, sign of B is switched. but i can't get it that highlighted part. and why B doesn't have z-component?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Think about what would happen if we rotated the coordinate system. Originally the current was in the +x direction, but we rotate our original coordinate system -90 degrees around the z-axis so that now the flow of K is in the +y direction. The z-component of B wouldn't change, correct?

Now if we changed the direction of the flow of current in the plane, it is analogous to the rotation above. The z-component of B can't change by simply changing where we define x and y. Therefore there is no z-component of B.

LunaFly said:
Think about what would happen if we rotated the coordinate system. Originally the current was in the +x direction, but we rotate our original coordinate system -90 degrees around the z-axis so that now the flow of K is in the +y direction. The z-component of B wouldn't change, correct?

Now if we changed the direction of the flow of current in the plane, it is analogous to the rotation above. The z-component of B can't change by simply changing where we define x and y. Therefore there is no z-component of B.
2342323.PNG

But the current flow in the infinite plane. if i draw a lot of loops as seen in the picture,
i think B is canceled out and entire B can not be existed , what is wrong with my thought??

The magnetic field beneath the plane of current travels in the opposite direction of that above the plane (use the right hand rule... above the plane, B is in the -y direction, and below the plane, B is in the +y direction). Thus when using Biot-Savart Law, the integral around the loop is the sum of the field above the plane times the length l plus the field below the plane times l (the vertical edges have no contribution). Notice that both above the plane and below the plane, the magnetic field B is in the same direction as the path ds. Therefore the fields will not cancel; they will add.

LunaFly said:
The magnetic field beneath the plane of current travels in the opposite direction of that above the plane (use the right hand rule... above the plane, B is in the -y direction, and below the plane, B is in the +y direction). Thus when using Biot-Savart Law, the integral around the loop is the sum of the field above the plane times the length l plus the field below the plane times l (the vertical edges have no contribution). Notice that both above the plane and below the plane, the magnetic field B is in the same direction as the path ds. Therefore the fields will not cancel; they will add.
thank you. i got it !

Related to Find the magnetic field of an infinite uniform surface

1. What is an infinite uniform surface?

An infinite uniform surface is a theoretical concept used in physics to simplify calculations. It refers to a surface that extends infinitely in all directions and has a constant distribution of material or properties across its entire surface.

2. How is the magnetic field of an infinite uniform surface calculated?

The magnetic field of an infinite uniform surface is calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and I is the current passing through the surface. This formula assumes that the surface is infinitely long and infinitely wide, with a constant current passing through it.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field on an infinite uniform surface?

The direction of the magnetic field on an infinite uniform surface is perpendicular to the surface, and it follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Does the distance from the surface affect the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field on an infinite uniform surface decreases as you move further away from the surface. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases as the distance increases.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the magnetic field of an infinite uniform surface?

Yes, the concept of an infinite uniform surface is often used in theoretical calculations for practical applications, such as designing magnetic shields or studying magnetic materials. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with different surfaces.

Back