find the magnitude and direction of the final velocity

In summary, two vehicles with a mass ratio of 1:4 and approaching at 13 m/s collided at a right angle intersection and became entangled. After calculating the x and y components, the final velocity of the wreck was determined to be 10.7 m/s at an angle of 76 degrees.
bigboss

Homework Statement

Two vehicles approach a right angle intersection and then collide. After the collision, they become entangled. If their mass ratios were 1:4 and their respective speeds as they approached were both 13 m/s, find the magnitude and direction of the final velocity of the wreck.

A)16.3 m/s at 79° B)13.1 m/s at 79° C)15.7 m/s at 79° D)12.5 m/s at 79°

Homework Equations

p=mv. m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)vf

The Attempt at a Solution

i found both x and y compontents of the cars, with one car having a mass of 1 kg and another having a mass of 4kg. I ended up getting, 10.7m/s and 76 degrees, but that is not even a choice

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds like you're on the right track. Possibly you have just made a little calculation error somewhere. Can you show us what you did?

since it is a right angle, one car is going 13 m/s right, while the other is going 13m/s up

so there is a 1:4 ratio of mass

x component) m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v

1(13)+(4*0)=(1+4)V
13/5= vx
vx=2.6 m/s

y component) m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v

(1*0)+(4*13)=(1+4)v
52/5=vy
vy=10.4 m/s

sqrt 10.4^2+2.6^2
= 10.7 m/s
inverse tan of 10.4/2.6= 76 degrees

Frankly, I do not see the error.
I did the calculation myself and I found the same answer.

Perhaps you should go see your teacher and ask him what is wrong with your answer because you absolutely don't see it and have checked it multiple times (that's a polite way of asking if he's sure he isn't wrong :smile:)

Related to find the magnitude and direction of the final velocity

1. What is the meaning of "final velocity" in a scientific context?

Final velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object at the end of its motion or trajectory.

2. How is the magnitude of the final velocity calculated?

The magnitude of the final velocity can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which involves squaring and adding the individual components of the velocity (speed in the x and y directions) and then taking the square root of the sum. This will give the overall speed of the object.

3. Can the direction of the final velocity be negative?

Yes, the direction of the final velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the coordinate system being used. For example, if the x-axis is considered positive to the right and an object is moving to the left, the x-component of its final velocity would be negative.

4. How does the final velocity differ from the initial velocity?

The initial velocity is the speed and direction of an object at the beginning of its motion, while the final velocity is the speed and direction at the end of its motion. The final velocity may be different from the initial velocity due to changes in speed or direction during the motion of the object.

5. Can the magnitude of the final velocity be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the magnitude of the final velocity can be greater than the initial velocity if the object undergoes acceleration during its motion. This means its speed increases, resulting in a higher final velocity. However, the final direction may still be the same as the initial direction if the acceleration is in the same direction as the initial velocity.